Enny Buono is a fourth generation barber who first worked in his father’s barber shop in Naples, Italy when he was just eight years old. Now the founder of Barbiere’s in Baggot street and of the newly rebranded Cesellato barber on Wexford street, he is sharing some top tips for hair loss.
Having been surrounded by barbers before I could walk and working on men’s hair since the age of 13, I’ve learned the primary worry of men when it comes to hair: losing it.
Then, at the age of just 20, I started having this problem too.
As a result of this constant fear that comes up for men of all ages, I have spent two decades exploring how this problem can be solved.
Being a fourth generation barber from Naples and having worked both in the UK and Ireland, I’ve experienced that, regardless of cultural differences, every client has asked me: "How do I not lose my hair?"
Hair loss, also known as androgenetic alopecia, in men is caused by many factors. First of all, we need to understand the hair cycle. The life cycle of the hair involves the alternation of three phases: one of growth (anagen), one of rest (catagen), and one of falling out (telogen).
- Anagen phase = growth phase that lasts from 3 to 6 years
- Catagen phase = transition phase (hair regression) lasts for about 2–3 weeks
- Telogen phase = elimination phase which lasts 2-3 months
The cause of hair loss is often hereditary. Researchers led by Riccardo Morioni indicated that it is linked to the DNA specifically as there are 287 genes capable of indicating the predisposition to hair loss. These are all present on the X chromosome, the one inherited from the mothers.
Another cause behind the baldness of men is testosterone, the male sex hormone. Due to an enzyme, it turns into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hormone that would cause the hair follicles to atrophy and die.
Other non-genetic factors of hair loss include stress, diet, and using the wrong hair products.
The developmental stages of androgenetic alopecia correspond to the following:
- Activation of the enzyme 5-α reductase
- Diffuse micro-inflammation
- Decreased microcirculation and reduced supply of oxygen and nourishment to the bulb
- Loosening of the sheaths of the hair anchoring system, caused by the deterioration of collagen
- Increase in free radicals
- Miniaturization and increase in hair fragility
- Decrease in the duration of the Anagen phase
Medavita lotion concentrée homme
This is in the toolbox of every man who intends to deal with hair loss energetically. The multifunctional action of the LCH treatment responds to the development phases of androgenetic alopecia point by point:
- Inhibits the enzyme 5-α reductase
- It carries out a soothing action
- Increase the microcirculation
- Reinforce the anchoring system
- It carries out an anti-radical action
- Builds and strengthens the hair shaft
- Increases growth speed
The heart of the Medavita Lotion Concentrée Homme formula is the extract of Serenoa repens, a great inhibitor of 5-α reductase, which specifically enriches a mix of powerful plant active ingredients that perform a preventive action against hair loss, in a natural way. without side effects. The regular application of the treatment allows the follicles not yet atrophied to resume their function of "making hair".
Minoxidil, the active ingredient in Regaine, reinvigorates shrunken hair follicles – they increase in size and regrow thicker hair over time.
Minoxidil increases blood flow which stimulates hair follicles, promoting hair regrowth in 4 ways:
- Reverses miniaturisation of follicles.
- Increases blood flow around follicles.
- Stimulates follicle movement from resting to hair growth phase.
- Extends each follicle’s growth phase.
A3 thanks to its innovative formula is a complete and effective adjuvant treatment in cases of hair loss and fragility. In fact, the continuous exposure to conditionings that alter the physiological cycle (eg stress, aggressive cosmetic treatments, change of season, controlled diets, hormonal disorders) leads to the weakening of the hair structure and consequent thinning.
Active natural ingredients: aloe ferox, mountain arnica, camphor, watercress, menthol, rosemary.
Generally, you are better off having the back and sides short so that the top area of the head will be more outstanding.
Choose dry finish products and, if your hair is very thin, l recommend hair spray to keep the style nice and compact.
Top tip: After you style your hair, you can add a fibre powder that instantly builds your hair thickness temporarily until your next shampoo. It will boost your confidence immediately, especially if you have a big occassion to attend.