Wesley Hammond from Dublin's Institute of Education takes Leaving Cert Biology Higher Level students through the exam.
Watch the intro video above which details the 2022 exam overall and scroll down for the videos!
Wesley has been teaching Biology for over 15 years. He is an exam corrector with the State Examinations Commission and has created a website used by Biology students in preparation for the Leaving Certificate. In 2018, 35% of his students received a H1 in Higher Level Biology.
Read about the new exam layout at the bottom of this article and check out the videos below!
1. Enzyme video: Enzymes appear in nearly every Biology Leaving Certificate paper. This video looks at key terms that are related to enzymes – Biological catalyst, pH, temperature, substrate, product, specific, optimum and denatured.
2. Cell Division video: Cell division appears quite regularly on the Leaving Certificate Biology paper. This video looks at the Interphase and the events of mitosis.
3. Nervous System video: The Nervous system is a Human Biology topic that is asked quite regularly in the Leaving Certificate paper. This video looks at the structure and function of sensory and motor neurons.
4. Heart video: This video looks at the structure of the heart and how blood flows through the pulmonary and systemic circuit.
5. Ecology video (Food chains, food webs and pyramid of numbers): Ecology is usually worth between 15% and 25% of the paper. This video looks at one of the ecology sections - food chains, food webs and pyramid of numbers.
6. Structure of a Flowering plant: This video looks at the structure of a leaf and the differences between a monocotyledon and dicotyledon stem.
7 Structure of the exam
8. Enzyme experiment video: This video looks at three enzyme experiments which investigate the effect of pH , temperature and heat denaturation on enzyme activity. Enzyme experiments appear quite regularly in the Leaving Certificate paper.