Perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape.
Area measures the space inside a shape. We measure area in meters squared which is written as m2
Perimeter: Add all the length and width measurements: 8cm + 4cm + 8cm + 4cm = 24cm
Or add one Length + one Width and multiply by 2: (8cm + 4cm) x 2 = 24cm
Area: Length x Width: 8cm x 4cm = 32cm2
Farmer John's Farm Quiz
Farmer John's Pet Farm is getting new fencing and turf for each of the animal enclosures. Have a look at the picture and work out the perimeter and area of each of the animal enclosures. Use or copy the table below to input your answers.
The fencing for the perimeter of each animal enclosure costs €5 per metre and the turf to cover the area of the inside of the enclosure costs €10 per metre. Can you calculate…
- How much will the fencing on the donkey enclosure cost?
- How much will the turf in the cow enclosure cost?
- What is the total cost of the fencing and turf for the llama enclosure?
- What is the total cost for the fencing of the pig and chicken enclosures?
- What is the total cost for the turf for the goat and donkey enclosures?
Check your answers at the bottom of worksheet
Send us pictures or videos of what you have done. Ask your parents to help you send them to rte.ie/learn
Answers to Perimeter and Area Quiz:
- 34m x €5 = €170
- 75m2 x €10 = €750
- (40m x €5) + (96m2 x €10) = 1160
- (28m x €5) + (24m x €5) = €260
- (80m2 x €10) + (66m2 x €10) = €1460
Cow Quiz: Left 13, Right 15.