Write in Ruins
Now that you're familiar with Viking writing, why not put it to the test? See if you can write these words using Viking runes! We’ve included a Viking Rune Writer so you can use that as a guide:
Fun Facts: The Vikings in Ireland
- Some days of the week are named after Viking Gods;
- The great raven god Odin, otherwise known as Woden, gives us Wednesday (Woden's Day).
- Tuesday and Friday are named after Tyr and Frigg, the god and goddess of war and marriage.
- Most famously, the Norse god of thunder and strength Thor gives us our Thursday. So, happy Thors-day everybody!
- Dublin, Wexford, Cork, Limerick and Waterford are all towns that were developed by the Vikings in Ireland.
- Despite popular belief, Vikings never wore horned helmets. Christians added this detail at a later date to make the Vikings look even more barbarian, with horns like the devil.
Send us pictures or videos of what you have done. Ask your parents to help you send them to rte.ie/learn