The number being divided is called the dividend. The number which we divide the dividend by is called the divisor. The answer we get is called the quotient. If there is a number left over, it is called the remainder.
Remember, this is the order of the steps for long division -
An easy way to remember the order is Dad, Mom, Sister, Brother
Here's a fun way to practice division with your family.
What you’ll need –
- Deck of cards with kings, queens, jacks and jokers removed
- Pen and paper
- Someone to play with you.
How to play:
- Each player takes four cards and places them down in front of them.
- The first three cards' numbers are the dividend (number to be divided) and the 4th card is the divisor (the number to be divided by). E.g if you turn over the cards 8, 4, 3 and 9. 843 will be the dividend and 9 will be the divisor.
- Both players must work through their division problem on paper. Use the calculator ONLY to check the other players answers.
- The player with the larger quotient keeps all the cards.
- Play continues until one player has all the cards.
- To make the game more difficult the players could choose 6 cards, and have a 4 digit dividend and a 2 digit divisor.
end us pictures or videos of what you have done. Ask your parents to help you send them to rte.ie/learn
Recipe - Tortilla Pizza
Here's a tasty equation for you – 1 Pizza + You = A full belly
An easy 15-minute recipe that you don't have to divide up.
- 1 tortilla wrap
- Two tablespoons of Passata or Pizza sauce
- 25g of grated Cheddar cheese
- Topping – Whatever you fancy e.g mozzarella, feta, fresh tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, peppers, sweetcorn, onion, pepperoni, ham, chicken, pineapple, anchovies, pesto, rocket (put on after cooking), basil.
1) Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4
2) Put the wrap on a baking tray
3) Spread the passata over the wrap using the back of the spoon.
4) Sprinkle the cheese all over the wrap
5) Add the toppings of your choice.
6) Put the wrap in the oven for up ten minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Keep an eye on the wrap in case it burns.
7) When it looks done, take it out, let it cool slightly, slice, and devour!
Send us pictures or videos of what you have done. Ask your parents to help you send them to rte.ie/learn