skip to main content

Austria files terror charges after Taylor Swift concert threat

sample caption
Taylor Swift cancelled three planned concerts in Vienna in August 2024

Austrian prosecutors have filed terrorism-related and other charges against a man accused of planning an Islamist militant attack linked to Taylor Swift concerts that were due to take place in Vienna in 2024.

In a statement on Monday, the Vienna prosecutors' office said it plans to bring the case in Wiener Neustadt, near Vienna. The suspect, now 21, is accused of producing a small amount of the explosive triacetone triperoxide (TATP) and attempting to buy weapons illegally.

The charges relate to an arrest made in August 2024, when three planned Swift concerts in Vienna were cancelled at short notice after Austrian authorities said they had foiled an attack.

Prosecutors allege the suspect was a member of the Islamic State, researched a type of bomb used by the group and shared Islamic State propaganda online.

The suspect has not been named by prosecutors. His lawyer was not immediately available for comment, Reuters reported, but has previously disputed accusations made against his client.

If convicted, the suspect faces up to 20 years in prison.

Source: Reuters

Read Next