Matt Hancock has insisted he did not "primarily" go on I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here! for the money as he described the 3% of his £320,000 fee he donated to charity as a "decent sum".
The former UK health secretary said the £10,000 donation was more than his monthly salary as an MP, which he still received while appearing on the reality TV show in the Australian jungle.
Entering the show amid criticism from constituents and colleagues, Mr Hancock's team said he would be donating a portion of his appearance fee.
'The guidelines were in place and I accept that I broke the guidelines. But I didn't break the law.' @MattHancock @susannareid100 questions the former Health Secretary on whether he broke the law when he breached Covid rules. pic.twitter.com/QlbO3knUWZ— Good Morning Britain (@GMB) January 31, 2023
He revealed the sum he gave away to the St Nicholas Hospice in Suffolk and the British Dyslexia Association after official records showed his fee amounted to £320,000.
In an interview with ITV's Good Morning Britain on Tuesday, said: "I didn't primarily do it (go on the reality show) for the money, I primarily did it to try to show who I am.
"I think £10,000 is actually a decent sum."
He confirmed he still received his MP salary while in the jungle, but said his donations were larger than that sum, which is around £7,000 per month.
The West Suffolk MP, who lost the Tory whip over the appearance, did concede that "of course there was a discussion and negotiation over the fee".
But he insisted that he "certainly would have considered" doing the programme for £10 and denied negotiations soured after he turned down initial offers.
During the show, Mr Hancock came in third place behind actor Owen Warner and England professional footballer Jill Scott.
Records on the MPs' register of interests showed Mr Hancock received £320,000 from Lifted Entertainment, ITV Studios, for the work which he listed as lasting for 30 days.
Mr Hancock's I'm a Celebrity... appearance was criticised by UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and other top Tories, as well as mocked by some fellow MPs.
More than 1,000 complaints were made to British broadcasting watchdog Ofcom over his participation.
The register also showed he had been paid £48,000 for an interview and the serialisation of his book, Pandemic Diaries, in the Daily Mail and Mail On Sunday newspapers.
Mr Hancock resigned as health secretary for breaking social distancing guidance by kissing and embracing an aide in his office.
After leaving I'm A Celebrity..., Mr Hancock announced that he would not be standing for the Conservatives at the next general election.
It was previously revealed that Mr Hancock had also earned £45,000 for taking part in Channel 4's Celebrity SAS: Who Dares Wins.
A previous register entry revealed he spent 80 hours filming the programme while Parliament was in recess between 24 September and 8 October, shortly before heading to Australia for I'm A Celebrity.
Source: Press Association