Dublin grunge revivalists Three Underneath play The Wild Duck in Temple Bar on December 8. We asked the the band's front man Daragh Murray BIG questions . . .

Inspired by Foo Fighters, Weezer, Audioslave, Queens of the Stone Age and early Coldplay, Three Underneath formed in 2015 and released their self-titled debut album last October.

Tell us three things about yourself?

I'm the son of two musicians, who met playing in a band. My dad was a piano teacher but was more well-known as an accordion player. My mam was this awesome singer. Actually, she still is! To top it off, true story, I learnt to play guitar from my grandmother!

We need your consent to load this Spotify contentWe use Spotify to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

I'm a vegetarian 95% of the time. The other 5% is reserved for politeness and emergencies. Special exceptions for Christmas dinner or when someone is cooking barbecue.

I’m really into cinematography, but I’ve never worked professionally in the industry! We bought a cinema camera with our grant money last year and I directed the videos. I had spent months storyboarding (sketching out shots) - particularly for our song "You’ve Been Had". We have a couple more cinematic projects in the pipeline!

How would you describe your music?

Catchy choruses, big drums, tight bass, distorted guitars! We're being defined right now as "classic rock" or something, which is bizarre, but then I listen to rock playlists on Spotify and I'm like "where are the drums gone? What IS this genre??". I think we definitely lean more towards a great melody than an edgy riff or beat. People still dance at our shows so we're doing something right! But It's great to be able to play our songs acoustically. I don't think a lot of the rock bands that are in right now can do that.

Who are your musical inspirations?

I grew up listening to a bit of everything, our house was always full of music, lots of Irish stuff like The Stunning and U2. I'd never heard Nirvana’s Nevermind until we raided my friend's dad's music collection. I listen to so much music, from vastly different genres. I try to avoid the hipster stuff - that revolving door of 'flavour of the month cool'. I was listening to Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave, Ry Cooder and Ali Farka Touré when I was writing this album, but I listen to a lot of new music too. We've had some really unexpected comparisons and crossover since the album came out.

What was the first gig you ever went to and the first record you ever bought/downloaded?

Mike Oldfield at the (then) Point Depot, Dublin. I was nine years old, and I missed Foo Fighters playing there by a few days!! I bought my first record around the same time. I was shopping with my grandmother in the Square, Tallaght. There was this massive music shop on the way in and she offered to buy me an album. Instead, I picked up about five singles for the same price. I can't remember all of the titles, but I know OPM’s Heaven Is a Halfpipe was there.

What’s your favourite song right now?

I am CRAZY about the new Biig Piig record. I can't stop listening to it. Addicted! If I had to pick a favourite track, I think American Beauty is the one that I listen to most.

Favourite lyric of all time?

"Nail in my head from my Creator, you gave me life, now show me how to live" - Show Me How to Live by Audioslave.

If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Halcyon + On + On by Orbital.

Where can people find your music/more information?

Our website.

Three Underneath play The Wild Duck, Dublin on Wednesday, December 8 at 8.00pm. Tickets are available from their website.