Richard Madeley has confirmed he has left I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here! because he "broke the Covid 'bubble'" after he was taken to hospital in the early hours of the morning.

ITV had earlier said that the presenter-turned-contestant was taken to hospital after becoming ill on the set of the reality show in Gwrych Castle in Wales.

In a statement announcing his exit from the show, Madeley said he is "absolutely fine".

"I started to feel briefly unwell in the small hours of the morning and was taken to hospital as a precaution," he explained.

"By leaving the camp, I had consequently broken the Covid 'bubble' and as such, I've had to leave the castle and all the wonderful celebs that remain in the camp."

"Obviously, I'm gutted to be leaving so soon, but the safety of all the campmates is the number one priority," he added.

"I'm incredibly excited to watch their journey continue… even more so at the prospect of being somewhere a little warmer than Gwrych Castle.

"Thank you to everyone who supported me on my brief but completely unforgettable adventure - I've made some great friends and honestly had the time of my life."

The new series began on ITV and Virgin Media One last Sunday, with 65-year-old Madeley one of the original 10 contestants to enter Gwrych Castle.

Wednesday's episode of the show saw Madeley slide head-first into a sewer of rotten fruit and vegetables during a trial called Castle Kitchen Nightmares.

Thanking Madeley for his participation, the show described him as "a truly brilliant campmate".

The makers of the series added that there will be no replacement for Madeley, who has recorded a message for his fellow contestants "so they know that he is ok".

Madeley will take part in an interview with hosts Ant & Dec that will feature on Friday night's episode.

Click here for more television news.

Source: Press Association