It has been confirmed that this year's Longitude festival, which was due to take place between July 2nd to 4th in Dublin's Marlay Park, has been cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Organisers say they are "devastated" that they won't be able to host the music festival, which was due to be headlined by Kendrick Lamar, Tyler, The Creator, and Megan Thee Stallion.
A statement on the festival website reads: "Following the government's most recent announcement, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make Longitude happen this year due to COVID-19 restrictions, and it is with great regret that we must announce that this year’s festival will not take place.
"We are so sorry to the thousands of people who bought tickets to this year’s festival and are absolutely devastated that, once again, we won’t be able to welcome you all to Marlay Park this Summer."
?? ?????????????????? ???????? ???????????? ??— Longitude Festival (@longitudefest) May 10, 2021
?? Refund from point of sale
?? Online/phone purchase via Ticketmaster refunded automatically
?? #Longitude2022 ? 1-3 July 2022 pic.twitter.com/icdWHQzgb9
Ticket holders will be able to request a refund from their point of purchase. People who booked online or by phone will have their refund automatically processed by Ticketmaster.
Despite the cancelling of Longitude, there is some hope that outdoor gigs and festivals will be considered later this year.
When asked on RTÉ's News at One if Electric Picnic, which usually takes place in early September, could possibly go ahead, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan said: "We are getting ahead, lets say, to make an absolute prediction around that but I would like to think that if we found ourselves in a situation where we had really good progress in terms of the vaccine, where we did not run into any difficulties in terms of variants and so on, that some of the things which are not now possible including outdoor events... might be things we can think about."
'Some of the things that are not now possible, which include outdoor events... might be things we can think about' - CMO Dr Tony Holohan is non-committal but says events like the Electric Picnic might be under consideration later in the year | Read more: https://t.co/aLAVNCQfaR pic.twitter.com/AsFSF3yA5G— RTÉ News (@rtenews) May 10, 2021
The news follows last week's announcement that Dublin festival Forbidden Fruit will not take place this year due to the pandemic.
Meanwhile, Festival Republic have said they remain hopeful that this year's Electric Picnic will go ahead this year.
Speaking in early March they said, "The Electric Picnic team remain hopeful that the vaccination roll out will be complete in sufficient time to allow the festival to go ahead obviously but remain in Government hands for that."