Strictly Come Dancing professional AJ Pritchard has urged people not to underestimate the danger of an open flame after his dancer girlfriend Abbie Quinnen received third degree burns in a social media video stunt that went wrong.

The Press Association reports that in an interview with ITV's This Morning on Tuesday, Pritchard said an attempt to use a flame to turn a wine bottle into a vase, which the couple were planning to film and post online, went "horribly wrong".

"I think what's really scary is her clothes caught alight, her hair caught alight and it all happened so fast, yet felt like a lifetime scenario," Pritchard said of the accident, which happened seven weeks ago at the London home he and Quinnen share with his brother, fellow dancer Curtis.

"As soon as the fire on her body, her hair, obviously, her skin was out, we covered her in damp towels. We called 999, we did everything that we thought was the right thing to do and to get her to A&E as soon as possible."

Quinnen has undergone a skin graft as she continues her recovery.

We need your consent to load this Instagram contentWe use Instagram to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

"They call her 'Super Abbie' because her skin is doing amazing," Pritchard continued.

Recalling the night when Quinnen was rushed to hospital, he added: "I remember the night so vividly. I sat outside the hospital all night, knowing that she was not even going to come out."

As Quinnen continued her recovery in hospital, he could not visit because of coronavirus restrictions.

"You want to hug people in these scenarios and all we could do is be that lifeline on the phone, being in contact with her."

Pritchard thanked people for the "love and support" he and Quinnen have received, saying that it helps to keep them "positive".