ITV has announced that it has ended production of the Jeremy Kyle Show permanently.

The broadcaster had been urged to cancel the show after the sudden death of a man who failed a lie-detector test on the controversial programme.

The confrontational talk show was pulled off the air indefinitely following the death of 63-year-old Steve Dymond, a week after the programme was filmed.

The episode had been due to air on Monday.

In a statement, ITV chief executive Carolyn McCall said: "Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

"The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.

"Everyone at ITV's thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond."

ITV said that it will continue to work with Kyle on other projects.

Meanwhile, Ofcom has said that despite the cancellation of The Jeremy Kyle Show it will still review the findings of ITV's probe into the episode in question carefully.

The media regulator said in a statement on Wednesday (May 15): "While ITV has decided to cancel the programme, its investigation into what happened is continuing and we will review the findings carefully.

"It's vital that people taking part in reality and factual shows are properly looked after. We're examining whether more can be done to safeguard the welfare of those people, similar to the duty of care we have in the Broadcasting Code to protect under-18s.

"Any changes must be helpful and effective, so we'll speak to programme participants, broadcasters, producers and psychologists before finalising any new guidance."