Dwayne Johnson has said he was ''first choice'' to host the Academy Awards but admits he couldn't commit to the gig because he was filming Jumanji 2.
The 46-year-old actor said he hoped to make the 2019 Oscars ''fun and entertaining'' but his contractual agreements to star in Jumanji's second outing ruled him out of the job.
According to Johnson, the role was then offered to Kevin Hart, his co-star in the film, though he subsequently stepped down following a row over offensive tweets.
Taking to Twitter, the former WWE star tweeted: ''I was their first choice to host this year, and my goal was to make it the most fun and entertaining Oscars ever. We all tried hard, but couldn't make it work since I'm shooting Jumanji. (sic)''
Ah mahalo dude, I was their first choice to host this year, and my goal was to make it the most fun and entertaining Oscars ever. We all tried hard, but couldn’t make it work since I’m shooting Jumanji. Academy and I were super bummed but maybe one day down the road 🥃 https://t.co/eiiMuBNOzb— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) February 6, 2019
The Fast and Furious star hasn't ruled out taking on the prestigious role for a future ceremony.
He added: ''Academy and I were super bummed but maybe one day down the road (sic)''
This year's ceremony is to go ahead without a host. It was recently announced that Frances McDormand, Gary Oldman, Allison Janney and Sam Rockwell have all been added to the list of Oscars presenters at this year's ceremony, having all picked up awards last year.
Last year, Allison Janney, Frances McDormand, Gary Oldman and Sam Rockwell had their names read from an envelope and they took home Oscar gold.— The Academy (@TheAcademy) February 7, 2019
This year, they'll help make more dreams come true.
We're thrilled to announce they'll be presenters at this year's show. #Oscars
The 91st Oscars will be held in Los Angeles on February 24.