Dublin City Council has granted Croke Park and Aiken Promotions the licence to go ahead with the planned Rolling Stones concert at the stadium in May.

The licence was granted today for the 17 May concert.

The application to hold a fourth concert in Croke Park was lodged earlier this year. 

This is the first time an extra concert has been allowed since the Garth Brooks controversy in 2014.

Stadium Director Peter McKenna issued a correspondence to people living in the area around Croke Park on 1 February, informing them of the application for an additional special event in the stadium.

At the time, there was only permission for three concerts per year, with the allocation already used by Taylor Swift, when she takes to the stage on 15 and 16 June; and Michael Bublé, when he performs on 7 July.

The granting of the licence for the Rolling Stones concert brings the total number of events scheduled in the stadium to 30 for the calendar year.

Residents groups around Croke Park have said they are "extremely disappointed" that Dublin City Council granted permission for the extra concert.

Around 60 residents are believed to have lodged objections to concert in May, on top of the three planned for June and July.

Spokesperson for Clonliffe and Croke Park Area Residents' Association Pat Gates said the extra event would cause 18 days of disruption to residents, with construction works and rehearsals lasting until as late as 1am.

He pointed out that An Bord Pleanála had limited the number of concerts to three per year in the interest of safety and public health.

The date of the concert, on a Thursday evening, will also cause traffic chaos particularly with road closures, he predicted.

Tickets for the show, which is part of the STONES – NO FILTER tour, will go on sale on 23 March and are priced from €70.45 to €181.

The Rolling Stones last played in Ireland in 2007 when they headlined Slane Castle.