The Conor McGregor-starring documentary series The Notorious has been named among the award winners at the Celtic Media Festival in Dungarvan, Co Waterford.

The fly-on-the-wall mixed martial arts series, which was made by Motive Television for RTÉ, won the Best Sport programme award. It saw off the challenge from Y Gêm Gudd: Llanelli v USSR (S4C), Rugby and the Brain - Tackling the Truth (BBC Scotland), Ireland's Sulky Racers (RTÉ) and Lynsey Sharp - Get Out Strong, Commit (BBC Scotland) to win the award. 

Other winners included Grand Pictures' The Legend of Longwood (Best Children's programme), TG4's Pioc do Ride (Best Entertainment programme) and the RTÉ Investigations Unit's Inside Bungalow 3 (Best Current Affairs programme).    

MMA fighter McGregor sent Twitter into meltdown when he tweeted on Tuesday that he had "decided to retire young", leaving fans reeling. His coach John Kavanagh followed it up with a "fun while it lasted" tweet himself.

However, on Thursday McGregor subsequently clarified that he was not retiring but was stepping away from the promotional spotlight to focus on his training.

One Direction's Niall Horan had been one of the first to express his disappointment at the retirement talk on Tuesday, tweeting to McGregor: "Westmeath will be out of the championship and you've pulled out of 200, what are me and the lads meant to do in July now."

Piers Morgan took more than a subtle dig, saying: "You're going to QUIT as a LOSER. Seriously?" while twitter King Colm Toibin took a more light-hearted approach, writing: "Conor McGregor is reportedly retiring prematurely from MMA to spend more time with Conor McGregor."

Take a look at some of the responses below:

Although many fans are refusing to believe the sincerity of McGregor's tweet, UFC president Dana White has said that McGregor will not be taking part in his rematch with Nate Diaz in Las Vegas on July 9. Diaz is the only man to beat McGregor in a UFC bout.

The UFC made the decision to cancel the featherweight champion's rematch as they claim McGregor refused to fly to Las Vegas to fulfil his media obligations.

"Is Conor McGregor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don't know," White said. "But Conor McGregor is not fighting at UFC 200.

"Obviously we still have a good relationship with Conor. I respect Conor as a fighter and I like him as a person. But you can't decide not to show up to these things. You have to do it."