RTÉ Radio 1 has announced the shortlist for the Francis MacManus Short Story Competition 2013.
A total of 634 short stories were entered into this year's competition, with 25 stories shortlisted.
The competition is being judged by Brendan Barrington, Senior Editor at Penguin Ireland, and writers Evelyn Conlon and Christine Dwyer Hickey.
This is the second year that the judges listened to recordings of the stories as well as reading the scripts before making their decision.
The winner will be announced on Tuesday June 18.
The shortlisted stories will be read each weeknight on RTÉ Radio 1 at 11:10pm beginning Monday June 24.
The shortlist, in no particular order, is:
1) Ruler of the Roost by Steve Wade, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin, read by Aaron Monaghan
2) Hey Presto! by Clare O'Reilly, Maynooth, Co Kildare, read by Caitríona Ní Mhurchú
3) The Crawlspace by Seán Flynn, Bandon, Co Cork, read by Pat Kinevane
4) After the Rhododendrons by Paul McMichael, London, UK, read by Gary Murphy
5) Ending It by Seán Kenny, Blanchardstown, Dublin, read by Aaron Monaghan
6) Parknasilla by Silke O'Reilly, Rosscarbery, Co Cork, read by Ingrid Craigie
7) Dark Secret by James Alfred Simpson, Bushmills, Co Antrim, read by Pat Kinevane
8) Come Here to Me and Tell Me a Story by Antoinette McCarthy, Gowran, Co Kilkenny, read by Andrew Bennett
9) Narcissus by Colm Reynor, Tallaght, Dublin, read by Barbara Bergin
10) Lovebirds by Chris Connolly, Booterstown, Co Dublin, read by Angela Harding
11) Floater by Alan Weadick, Goatstown, Dublin, read by Gary Murphy
12) Uncle Ned by Mike MacDomhnaill, Caisleán Nua, Co Luimnigh, read by Andrew Bennett
13) Long Live Clutter by Una Wolf-Brennan, Lake Lucerne, Switzerland, read by Ingrid Craigie
14) To the Tea Rooms by Danielle McLaughlin, Donoughmore, Co Cork, read by Noelle Browne
15) Balance by Fiona Cunnane, Leighlinbridge, Co Carlow, read by Caitríona Ní Mhurchú
16) We're Closed Happy Christmas by Eamon Murphy, Coolcotts, Wexford, read by Noelle Browne
17) An Answer for the Pope by Maurice Maguire, Belfast, Co Antrim, read by Lalor Roddy
18) Intercession by Wayne O'Keeffe, Butlerstown, Co Waterford, read by Gary Murphy
19) Washi by Alastair O'Liathain, Rathfarnham, Dublin read by Brendan Laird
20) Hairdo by Ellen Kelly, Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin, read by Noelle Browne
21) The Promised Land by Clíona Campbell, Model Farm Road, Cork read by Noelle Browne
22) Bull Wall by Fiona Gartland, Drumcondra, Dublin, read by Caitríona Ní Mhurchú
23) We All Fall Down by Brendan Killeen, Copenhagen, Denmark, read by Emmet Kirwan
24) Solar System by Jenny Roche, Moycullen, Co Galway, read by Keith Hanna
25) The Books, They Cry by Elizabeth Rose Murray, Schull, West Cork read by Gary Murphy