Dean Delany was the hero for Bohemians as his 92nd-minute wonder save ensured that the Gypsies left Oriel Park with a well earned SSE Airtricity League Premier Division point against a frustrated Dundalk side, 1-1.

Brian Gartland headed the hosts into the lead in the 28th minute but it was quickly cancelled out by Aidan Price.

The point for the Louth side sees them remain in third place in the table, while Bohs lie in seventh. 

Owen Heary's side looked dangerous going forward and they had the first real chance of the game after 15 minutes.

Right-winger Paddy Kavanagh played the ball inside for Jason Byrne to hit first time but his 20-yard effort curled just over Peter Cherrie's crossbar.

Dundalk stepped up the tempo after that and they went close four minutes later. Sean Gannon picked out Kurtis Byrne with a cross from the right. The striker showed great technique to pull the ball out of the sky but his half volley was turned around the post by Delany.

There was nothing the Bohs goalkeeper could do to stop the opening goal in the 28th minute. Darren Meenan's wicked corner from the right was met by Brian Gartland and his beautiful header nestled into the corner of the net.

The lead lasted just three minutes as Bohs hit back with a quickfire reply. Stephen O'Donnell was penalised on the right allowing Darragh Raynor to whip in a dangerous left footed free-kick and Aidan Price was on hand to beat Cherrie with a near post header.

The open feel to the game continued up to the break and it was the visitors who almost went in 2-1 ahead when Jason Byrne almost beat Cherrie with a fantastic effort from the right touchline after he was gifted the ball by Dane Massey.

Luckily for the Dundalk full-back, his goalkeeper scurried back to turn the ball over the crossbar and save Massey's blushes.

The hosts increased the pressure after the break and Delany produced a magnificent finger tip save to deny Richie Towell's 30-yard blockbuster in the 55th minute.

Kurtis Byrne then fizzed a shot just off target minutes later. The Dundalk no 11 was replaced by David McMillan with 17 minutes to go and his last action was a half-volley that flashed just over the top.

Dundalk thought they had won the game right at the death but John Mountney’s half volley was magnificently saved by Delany before the Lilywhites substitute's goal-bound header was cleared off the line by Derek Pender.

Dundalk: Cherrie; Gannon (Higgins 82), Boyle, Gartland, Massey; Meenan (Mountney 66), O'Donnell, Towell, Horgan; K Byrne (McMillan 73), Hoban.

Bohemians: Delany; Pender, Lopes, Price, Reynor; Kavanagh (Beattie 66), Buckley, Walsh, D Byrne (McEvoy 87), Moore; J Byrne (Corcoran 90+2).

Referee: Paul Tuite.

Attendance: 2,114.