Mark Quigley scored a brilliant goal and was then sent off as Shamrock Rovers got back to winning ways in the league beating Shelbourne 2-1 as both sides finished with ten men at Tolka Park.

The Rovers striker scored a sublime opening goal for the Hoops as they dominated the first half. But the red mist descended in a frantic second 45 as Quigley first won and then missed 64th-minute penalty.

Quigley himself was fouled by Robert Cornwall but blasted his spot kick off a post. The striker was then shown a straight red card for an apparent head-butt on Pat Flynn who appeared to goad him.

Shelbourne also had right-back Cornwall sent off for a second booking for a foul on substitute Sean O’Connor on 76 minutes.

Apart fror an early header wide from Lee Murtagh from Flynn’s diagonal cross, Shelbourne didn’t start well as Rovers took a grip on the game and soon troubled the home side.

Ronan Finn shot over from Quigley’s neat lay off before Rovers were deservedly in front on 12 minutes. Tommy Stewart’s slightly deflected cross from the left was merely helped on by a poor defensive header. And Quigley showed his class to finish beautifully with a calmly taken lobbed volley to the net from 16 yards.

Lee Murphy was beaten for a second time on 23 minutes as Shelbourne were carved open on the left. Stewart was the provider once more, pulling the ball back for Finn who took a touch before finding the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Shelbourne pressed hard in the latter stages of the half, wasting their best chance after 40 minutes. Flynn threaded a perfectly weighted ball through the inside right channel for Dean Kelly. The striker’s powerful shot lacked direction, though, as it blazed over the top.

Shels boss Johnny McDonnell did his work at the break as Shelbourne came out with much more purpose from the resumption and had a goal back seven minutes in.

Brennan weaved some magic in the box before being tripped by Conor Powell. And Kelly scored emphatically from the resulting penalty.

The home side pushed hard for an equaliser but Rovers held on for the win.

Shelbourne: Lee Murphy; Robert Cornwall, Ian Ryan, Graham Gartland, Derek Doyle; Adam Hanlon, Brian Gannon (Robert Bayly 31), Pat Flynn, Sean Brennan (Dylan Connelly 88); ; Dean Kelly, Lee Murtagh.

Shamrock Rovers: Barry Murphy; Conor McCormack, Derek Foran, Jason McGuinness, Conor Powell; Richie Ryan; Ronan Finn, Shane Robinson; Mark Quigley, Eamon Zayed, Tommy Stewart (Sean O'Connor 73).

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin).