UCD claimed all three points as they beat Derry City 4-2 after an action-packed second half encounter at The Brandywell.

All six goals were scored after the interval, there were also two penalties converted by David McMillan, while City also had defender Dermot McCaffrey sent-off.

The Students went close to taking the lead in the 15th minute but an unmarked Robert Benson was inches away from connecting with David McMillan’s teasing left-wing centre.

Soon after some neat skill by Michael Rafter created another chance, this time the ex-Dundalk man latched onto Rory Patterson’s flick-on, but his super low drive from just inside the box was superbly blocked by the sliding James Kavanagh.

Doherty was called into action again mid-way through the first half and the City net-minder was at full stretch to push away Craig Walsh’s stinging 25-yard drive.

Just before the half-hour mark O’Donnell came to his side’s rescue when the UCD keeper superbly tuned over Patterson’s close-range powerful header, after the former Linfield centre-forward had latched onto Griffin’s inch-perfect centre.

Derry started the second half on the front foot and they went close to taking the lead after 52 minutes but Sean Houston’s close-range shot was booted off the line by David O’Connor.

Minutes later, Griffin went close but his close-range shot was well kept out by O’Donnell, while Simon Madden, who burst into the UCD penalty box, saw his side-footed effort somehow hit the post.

The Dubliners took the lead on the hour mark when after some nice passing, David McMillan’s low drive from just inside the box was parried away by the out-rushing Doherty but Benson was on hand to make no mistake firing home.

Declan Devine’s side looked for an immediate response and they nearly got it when a McCaffrey left-wing cross found an unmarked Rafter at the far post, but his header flew just past the post.

That equaliser did come on 66 minutes in super style when Patterson made no mistake, rifling the ball home from 25 yards, after Griffin had set-up the chance.

Derry took the lead in the 72nd minute in sublime fashion when McNamee’s 20-yard free-kick on the right hand edge of the box flew over the UCD wall and past the despairing dive of O’Connor into the net.

Shortly afterwards, a Madden cross from the right found Houston at the back post but his header was tipped onto the bar by O’Donnell and Patterson’s follow-up shot flashed over.

The home side were reduced to ten men and conceded an equaliser after 79 minutes when McCaffrey was shown a straight red card after he upended Dean Clarke inside the box and referee Paul McLaughlin pointed to the spot, from which McMillan made no mistake.

UCD were controversial awarded a second penalty in the 84th minute when Greacen was adjudged to have upended Sean Russell inside the box and the Monaghan referee pointed to the spot again, much to the frustration of the big defender, but the protests didn’t annoy McMillan who again made no mistake again from 12 yards.

The ten men went close to equalising late on, but Griffin’s effort from just inside the area, came back off the post.

Then to rub salt further into the City’s wounds, the Dubliners added a fourth in stoppage time as Dean Clarke hammered the ball home from long range.

Derry City: Doherty, Madden, Greacen, McBride, McCaffrey; Molloy, Houston, B McNamee; Griffin, Patterson, Rafter. Subs: McEleney for Rafter (67); Duffy for Greacen (87).

UCD: O’Donnell, Douglas, Kavanagh, O’Connor, Russell; Morrison, McCabe, Walsh, Clarke; Benson; McMillan. Subs: Crowe & O’Halloran Morrison & Walsh (73); Burke for McCabe (81)

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).

Highlights and analysis of all the weekend’s action on MNS from 7pm on Monday 13 May on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (Worldwide).