By Micil Glennon at the UCD Bowl

UCD moved off the bottom of the Airtricity League Premier Division with a 1-0 win over Bohemians at the UCD Bowl in Belfield.

Dean Clarke's ninth-minute goal proved the difference between the sides as the Students secured their second league win of the season and climbed above Shelbourne and Bray Wanderers.

Bohemians were reduced to ten men for the finals stages with Keith Buckley dismissed for an off the ball incident as they pushed for late leveller that never came.

Students boss Martin Russell made three changes to the side beaten by Shels on Friday with goalkeeper Conor O'Donnell, making his league debut, standing in for Ger Barron, while Cillian Morrison and Dean Clarke came in for Sean Russell and Craig Walsh.

The visitors made just one change from their 2-2 draw with Drogheda, with captain Owen Heary returning from injury, taking the place of Michael Barker.

Both sides were restricted to half-chances in the opening exchanges with Bohs' Ryan McEvoy trying his luck from distance and then Robbie Benson's corner causing some concern for the Gypsies defence.

But it took only nine minutes for UCD to carve out a chance that was clinically converted by Clarke.

Gary Burke held up the ball, turned smartly and threaded a pass into the run of Clarke, who picked his spot, shooting low to the far post and giving goalkeeper Dean Delany no chance.

The home side's offensive play continued to unsettle Aaron Callaghan's men and both full-backs, Hugh Douglas and Gareth Matthews, brought saves from Delany before Chris Lyons gave O'Donnell some work in the 17th minute, but the ex-UCD player saw his shot saved comfortably.

Bohemians managed to get a foothold shortly afterwards but Buckley's deliveries from two free kicks on the UCD flanks went straight into the goalkeeper's hands to groans from the away supporters in the crowd of 468.

Down the other end, Benson skied a pullback from Clarke, while Matthews hit a free-kick into Delany's chest.

Even though the Gypsies began to impose themselves in midfield, with better possession and territory, UCD captain David O'Connor et al looked comfortable at the back and the half-time whistle came without any real threat to the scoreline.

But Bohs came close to an equaliser seconds after the restart.

O'Donnell was forced to go full stretch to fingertip David Mulcahy's fizzing shot around the post.

Delany then had to be alert when goalscorer Clarke tried to catch him out at the near post as the half got off to a frantic start.

Robbie Creevy, Burke and Benson soon began to boss midfield, while Clarke and McMillan ran hard up front to create openings.

However, the ebb and flow nature of the game continued with Douglas diving to block a Lyons drive and Bohs shouting for a penalty when Thomas Boyle cleared an effort from the same player off the line after O'Donnell denied Andy Mulligan.

With time running out the Phibsboro side began to show their frustration, Buckley seeing red for an off the ball incident soon after substitute Kevin Devaney saw his headed effort ruled out by the assistant referee for offside.

That was as close as the visitors got and they remain in ninth place on 12 points with UCD's second win of the campaign lifting them a point above Shelbourne and ahead of Bray on goal difference.

UCD: Conor O'Donnell; Gareth Matthews, David O'Connor (c), Tomas Boyle, Hugh Douglas; Robbie Creevy, Gary Burke, Robbie Benson, Cillian Morrison (James Kavanagh, 73); David McMillan (Daniel Corcoran 86), Dean Clarke (Samir Belhout 77).

Subs not used: Mark McGinley, Barry McCabe, Tyrone McNelis, Craig Walsh.

Bohemians: Dean Delany; Owen Heary (c), Roberto Lopes, Derek Pender, Luke Byrne, David Mulcahy; Keith Buckley, Andy Mulligan, Ryan McEvoy (Karl Moore 84); Dwayne Wilson (Dave Scully 59), Chris Lyons (Kevin Devaney 73).

Subs not used: Stephen Traynor, Ciaran Nangle, Shane Fitzgerald, Greg Murray.

Referee: Padraigh Sutton.