Two former Mervue United players helped Dundalk to their first home win of the season as the Lilywhites powered to an impressive three points against Cork City at Oriel Park.

John Mountney allowed a John Sullivan throw in to run across his body before flashing a wonderful left footed effort into Mark McNulty's top right hand corner to give the home side the lead in the 76th minute.

And substitute Patrick Hoban made sure of the three points when he headed home in the final minute after Keith Ward's free-kick had come back off the bar to give Stephen Kenny his maiden win at the Louth venue at the sixth time of asking.

Vinny Faherty had two great chances to open the scoring as the game ticked past the half hour, first heading over from close range after John Sullivan had managed to dig out a fantastic cross from the right.

Mountney was the provider for the striker's next opportunity four minutes later, the midfielder attacking Danny Murphy before cutting the ball back perfectly for Faherty who could only shoot over from 12 yards.

The home side did have the ball in the net after 37 minutes through Richie Towell but the goal was ruled out for offside despite TV replays suggesting that the former Celtic man was in line with City full-back Murphy when the initial ball was played.

City showed few signs of waking from their slumber but they almost stunned the Oriel Park crowd in the 53rd minute. Ian Turner's cross fell kindly for Daryl Kavanagh but he swept his effort wide of the far post.

Kenny's side, driven on by the immense Towell, responded and Tiarnan Mulvenna should have broken the deadlock in the 70th minute. Sullivan's clearance fell kindly for the 24-year-old who held off Colin Healy only to scuff his effort agonisingly wide of the upright.

Many took that to be a sign that Dundalk's winless run at Oriel Park would stretch to six games but Mountney banished those thoughts with his wicked volley six minutes later before Hoban sent the home support into raptures with his late header.

Dundalk: Cherrie; Sullivan, Boyle, Rossiter, Massey; Mountney (Meenan 81), Towell, Ward, O'Donnell; Faherty (Hoban 69), Mulvenna (Byrne 86).

Cork City: McNulty; N Horgan (Rundle 81), Healy, Buckley, Murphy; Turner, Duggan, G Morrissey, D Horgan (D Morrissey 83); Furlong (Behan 65), Kavanagh.

Referee: Paul Tuite.