Stephen O’Donnell’s late strike earned visitors Dundalk a 2-2 draw against Cork City at Turner's Cross in the Airtricity League Premier Division.

Ciarán Kilduff opened the scoring for the home side in the third minute, before Brian Gartland levelled maters 20 minutes later.

Daryl Kavanagh 63rd minute penalty appeared to have earned the Leesiders all three points, but Stephen O'Donnell’s unorthodox 89th equaliser earned the Louth men a share of the spoils.

Kilduff’s early strike was a thing of beauty. From a free-kick out on the right touchline, Cork City caught the Dundalk defence napping. Neal Horgan scampered down the line, crossed and Kilduff met it with a beautiful scissors kick, which flashed high into the net.

Indeed, the home side continued with real intent and their midfield trio of John Dunleavy, Gearóid Morrissey and young Garry Buckley snapped into tackles and passed the ball well.

Kilduff was the lone man up front with Daryl Horgan and Kavanagh out wide.

Apart from the superb opening goal, they consistently had Dundalk in trouble early on.

Daryl Horgan hit the woodwork twice in the first 25 minutes.

For the first, he skipped inside John Sullivan and let fly from outside the box. His shot hit the near post and rebounded away to safety.

The second was an overhit cross that almost caught Peter Cherrie when it dropped onto the crossbar.

Dundalk's neat first-touch football began to pay dividends however, and they began to enjoy more possession. Their midfield trio of Stephen O'Donnell, Stephen McDonnell and Francis McCaffrey became increasingly influential.

Dundalk equalised from a free-kick after Darren Meenan swung a good ball into the back post after 23 minutes.

Centre-back Gartland attacked the ball and scored from a free header at the back post.

Cork City were very vulnerable from set-pieces and the home side were lucky to escape when Gartland had the ball in the net again after 35 minutes, but it was ruled out for a push on keeper Mark McNulty.

City's next moment of inventiveness came after 38 minutes from a free-kick routine. The ball was rolled to Morrissey who feigned to roll it back for Kalen Spillane, but he instead spun and slammed the ball just wide.

The second half saw a flurry of half-chances for each side but Dundalk should have taken the lead nine minutes after the resumption.

McCaffrey turned over the ball and was through one versus one against McNulty who saved with his feet adroitly.

Daryl Horgan changed the game again after 64 minutes when he drove into the penalty box from the right and was taken down.

Goalkeeper Cherrie went the right way but couldn't keep out Kavanagh's well-struck shot.

Late on though, Stephen O'Donnell scored a bizarre equaliser.

From a position on the ground, he poked the ball past McNulty who had just superbly saved O'Donnell's looping shot.

The 89th minute goal prompted a familiar sinking feeling at Turner's Cross, but left Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny jubilant.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Danny Murphy, Gearóid Morrissey, Daryl Kavanagh (Ian Turner 90'), John Dunleavy, Garry Buckley, Dan Murray, Kalen Spillane, Neal Horgan (C), Daryl Horgan, Ciarán Kilduff.

Subs: Danny Furlong, Brian Lenihan, Stephen Kenny, Rob Lehane, David Browne (GK), John Kavanagh.

Dundalk: Peter Cherrie, John Sullivan, Brian Gartland, Stephen O'Donnell (C), Patrick Hoban, Kurtis Byrne, Dane Massey (Chris Shields 46', Stephen McDonnell (Simon Kelly 59'), Mark Rossiter, Darren Meenan, Francis McCaffrey (Jordan Keegan 64').

Subs: John Dillon, Nathan Murphy, Vinny Faherty, Aaron Shanahan (GK),

Referee: Robert Rogers.