Goals from Kieran Marty Waters and John Mulroy finally gave Bray their second Airtricity League Premier Division win of the season as they did the double on a sorry Shelbourne side who failed tamely to build on Friday’s first win of the campaign.

Bray’s deserved 2-1 win, their first since beating Shelbourne on the opening night, ended a run of seven straight defeats and lifts them off the foot of the table above now second-bottom Shelbourne, for whom Mark Leech's goal proved only a consolation. 

The home fans once again voiced their disapproval afterwards calling on manager Alan Mathews to go.

An enterprising start to the game in the much welcomed bright evening sun saw both sides waste early opportunities.

The first of them came to Shelbourne less than 90 seconds in when Leech was in one-on-one with Darren Quigley who saved well with his feet, though the striker should have scored.

Three minutes later Jason Byrne got free behind the square Shelbourne defence, succeeding only to toe his effort fractionally wide of Ger Hanley’s right-hand post.

Negligent Shelbourne defending didn’t escape a second time on 19 minutes, though, as Bray took the lead.

Gary Dempsey threaded a ball through for the pace of Waters who made no mistake, holding off the challenge of Brian Shortall to shoot past the advancing Ger Hanley for his long awaited first goal of the season.

The goal just about summed up Shelbourne’s sluggish first half display in what was a dreadfully poor spectacle of a match.

Try as they might to apply some necessary impetus to their game on the resumption, Shelbourne continued to struggle and only a superb reaction save from Hanley, in tipping over from Ismahil Akinade, prevented Bray doubling their lead on 52 minutes.

Three minutes later, though, Shelbourne punished sloppy defending to level.

Shane O’Connor’s attempted clearance merely succeeded in putting the ball into the air for Leech to score with a well-placed looping header over the poorly positioned Quigley.

But Akinade had made a difference and his cross field ball fed Mulroy on the right on 75 minutes to score what proved the winner.

The winger did the rest, cutting in onto his left foot to drill the ball to the bottom corner of the net.

Shelbourne almost snatched an equaliser in stoppage time, but Quigley was equal to Leech’s overhead kick to touch it over the bar.

Shelbourne: Ger Hanley; Pat Flynn, Brian Shortall, Ian Ryan, Jack Memery; Sean Brennan (Philly Hughes 33), Paul Crowley, Stephen Hurley, Adam Hanlon ( Alex Prizeman 52); Mark Leech, Craig Mooney (Dean Kelly 76).

Subs not used: Graham Gartland, Adam O'Connor, Stephen Sheerin, Darren Tinnelly.

Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley; Eoin Hyland (Daire Doyle 70), David Webster, Shane O’Connor, Conor Earley; John Mulroy, Gary Dempsey, Dean Zambra, Kevin Knight ( Ismahil Akinade h/t); Marty Waters; Jason Byrne (Danny Joyce 83).

Subs not used: Sean Holmes, Adam Cox, Paul Malone, Peter Thomas.

Referee: Rob Rogers (Dublin).

Attendance: 678.