Bottom-of-the-table Shelbourne claimed a late 1-1 draw against hosts Cork City in an entertaining Airtricity League Premier Division encounter at Turner's Cross.

City's left-back Danny Murphy opened the scoring after 63 minutes when he bundled home Daryl Horgan's cross.

However, sub Darren Tinnelly was the Shelbourne hero when he hit a deflected goal in stoppage time from a corner.

As Cork City fans streamed out disappointed, the small band of Shels fans heartily sang “Things can only get better” and perhaps they will, as they move off the bottom of the table.

Shelbourne manager Alan Mathews received a warm welcome and that welcome was extended by the Cork City team too.

Their lethargic start allowed the visitors to dominate the first 30 minutes of the game.

The away side's high pressing disrupted Cork City's fluency, with the home side totally impotent and unable to string passes together.

Shels, in contrast, had a string of chances and forced a number of fine saves from Mark McNulty.

Their best chance came after 12 minutes when Stephen Hurley's fierce drive was very well saved by McNulty.

The home side showed little until Daryl Kavanagh picked up the ball outside the Shelbourne box.

Showing great skill, he slalomed his way past a phalanx of defenders but dragged his shot wide of the far post.

After half an hour, City finally started to get a foothold in the game. They created a succession of chances, including some for wingers Horgan and Ian Turner, who both blazed wide after good moves.

The second half was a different matter however. The home side belatedly forced the Shelbourne keeper into action with both Horgan and Colin Healy forcing him into saves.

The opening goal finally arrived after 63 minutes and it came from an unlikely source.

Left-back Murphy won the ball back in midfield with a thundering tackle on Stephen Hurley. The ball was played to Horgan and his cross was bundled in by the on-rushing Murphy to the delight of the Shed.

After 68 minutes Denis Behan thought he had scored after he headed in from Ian Turner's corner but the goal was ruled out for a push on the goalkeeper.

The away side offered little while the Leesiders scorned a succession of chances, most notably through Horgan and Turner again.

They paid the price after Tinnelly's late, late equaliser.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Ian Turner, Danny Murphy, Darren Dennehy, Gearóid Morrissey, Colin Healy, Daryl Kavanagh (Danny Morrissey 87), Denis Behan, John Dunleavy, Dan Murray, Daryl Horgan (Adam Rundle 91).

Subs: Shane Duggan, Danny Furlong, Kalen Spillane, Kevin Burns, Garry Buckley.

Shelbourne: Niall Burdon, Brian Shorthall, Jack Memery, Paul Crowley (C), Dean Kelly, Adam Hanlon, Pat Flynn, Robert Bayly (Darren Tinnelly 84), Stephen Hurley, Craig Mooney (Philip Hughes 62), Ian Ryan.

Subs: Ger Hanley, Philip McCabe, Sean Brennan, Alex Prizeman, Stephen Sheerin.

Referee: D McKeon.