by Ed Leahy at Tallaght Stadium

Derek Foran scored with the last kick of the game as Shamrock Rovers fought back to earn a 1-1 draw with 10-man Cork City at Tallaght Stadium.

City had taken the lead in the 34th minute when former Ireland international Colin Healy blasted home from the edge of the box but lost Darren Dennehy after 65 minutes for a challenge on Stephen Rice.

Roves bombarded the visitors’ goal for the final 20 minutes, but they had to wait until the fourth minute of injury time to earn their fourth draw of the league campaign. 

The visitors appeared happy to sit back for the opening exchanges and Shamrock Rovers looked clueless early on with little movement in midfield as Cork got plenty of bodies behind the ball.

Eventually, the Hoops started to move the ball with more intent and some good play almost led to the opening goal after nine minutes.

The returning Foran played the ball out of defence before it found its way to Gary McCabe. The midfielder’s deflected shot reached Ronan Finn out wide and the ball into box fell to Robinson, but he shot over the bar.

Three minutes later, Gary McCabe also tried his luck from distance but it also sailed over the bar.

Cork eventually started to get forward and had their first effort on goal from a neat corner-kick after 14 minutes. Kavanagh miskicked the well-worked set-piece but the ball found Horgan on the edge of the box and his deflected effort was easily saved.

Five minutes later, Rovers broke quickly out of defence and the speedy Dennehy was played into space by Quigley.

The former City winger raced clear and found himself one-on-one with McNulty but John Dunleavy made up great ground to make a vital covering tackle to clear for a corner.

But Cork started to find their groove with the impressive Gearoid Morrissey starting to get his foot on the ball as he spread the play beautifully to both flanks.

And, sure enough, the breakthrough came in the 34th minute as a result of some neat work down the left wing as Adam Rundle made space and crossed into the dangerzone.

The ball missed everyone and drifted out to Healy at the edge of the box. One touch from Healy and the former Ireland international smashed the ball low and hard past Murphy, who managed to get a hand on the ball but couldn’t prevent it from hitting the back of the net.

And Cork, boosted by the goal, started to move forward in numbers, with Kavanagh working well with the Cork midfield, feeding Horgan in the 42nd minute.

The City winger switched the play to Rundle, who smashed a great left-footed effort just past the far post and Rovers were lucky to be just one goal behind as the sides went in at half-time.

Rovers made a change in midfield at the break with the tough-tackling Stephen Rice coming in, replacing the ineffective Shane Robinson.

The Hoops had the ball in the back of the net eight minutes after the re-start but it was disallowed by referee Derek Tomney.

Rice crossed from the right and Quigley put some pressure on the keeper. The ball dropped to McCabe on the edge of the six-yard box and the Rovers midfielder toe-poked it into the net but it would not count.

City nearly doubled their lead after 55 minutes as Kavanagh and Morrissey linked well down the left wing. Morrissey cut the ball back and the former Rovers striker watched his placed shot get cleared off the line by Conor Powell.

The game turned in the 65th minute as Darren Dennehy was sent off for a reckless tackle on Rice in the middle of the park. The referee appeared to have no choice but to issue a straight red and there were few complaints from the City players or Dennehy himself.

From then it was all Rovers as the Hoops created a host of chances through Oman, Quigley and then Kilduff, but there was nothing to worry McNulty in the Cork goal.

With three minutes of injury time played, it looked like City would hold on for all three points. But a hopeful ball over the top by Finn was flicked on by Quigley and it was centre-half Foran, who had stayed forward, who managed to get an outstretched foot on the ball. The new signing poked home his first goal for the Hoops as they snatched a point at the death.

Shamrock Rovers: Murphy; Sullivan, Oman, Foran, Powell; Dennehy (Kilduff 59), Chambers (Stewart 80), Finn, Robinson (Rice 45), McCabe, Quigley.

Cork City: McNulty; Dunleavy, Murray, Dennehy, Murphy; Horgan (Spillane 70), G Morrissey, Healy, Duggan, Rundle (Turner 90); Kavanagh (Behan 70).

Referee: Derek Tomney.