UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin is helping footballers trying to leave Ukraine and called for an end to the "madness" of Russia's invasion of the country.
Earlier this week, European football’s governing body expelled Russian clubs and national teams from all competitions having already relocated this year’s Champions League final from St Petersburg.
Speaking at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit, the 54-year-old explained some of the other work taking place behind the scenes.
Ceferin said from UEFA’s headquarters in Switzerland: "I was on the phone for 48 hours with players and coaches, foreign players and coaches, to help them to leave Ukraine during the war.
"We spoke 24 hours a day and I asked all the governments for help, but nobody could help because nobody could guarantee safety.
"Everyone said they should stay there because that’s the safest thing to do and I in a way understand the governments because it is hard for them to take the responsibility but we had to do it, together with the football association of Ukraine and all the neighbouring football associations.
"It is hard for me even to explain how tough, hard and sad those conversations were. One of those players when they successfully exited Ukraine came to my home two days ago. The other one was here today.
"You have to know I have photos from their side when they were there with families, with children of four and three months with bombs exploding outside. This is bigger than football and I am proud of the football family that the football family stood together and we helped as much as we could.
"We have many things like that that are not public, but we have to help 24/7 and do our part. Our part is the football part. It is really hard to say what can happen tomorrow. We are all just hoping and praying the war stops. This madness should stop as soon as possible."
A joint-statement from UEFA and FIFA on Monday confirmed Russian clubs and its national teams were no longer allowed to compete due to the war in Ukraine but Ceferin would not be drawn on when the ban would be lifted.
He added: "It is impossible to say. At this moment our decision was the only right decision, it was a unanimous decision from the executive committee of UEFA. What will happen tomorrow, nobody knows.
"I cannot give you an answer to this question. For now it stays like that and we are waiting for peace to come. Football will be the least important thing then."
UEFA later announced Belarusian clubs and national teams would have to play home matches on neutral territory, and behind closed doors, over their role in aiding and abetting the Russian invasion.
It remains to be seen which countries would offer to host Belarus' matches.
We need your consent to load this YouTube contentWe use YouTube to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences