Captain Kylie Murphy struck midway through the second half as Wexford Youths earned a 1-1 draw with DLR Waves at the UCD Bowl on Saturday evening.

Carla McManus had put the home side in front inside the opening ten minutes but Youths had them camped in their own half for much of the second period as they deservedly took a point.

The visitors were looking to bounce back after conceding a last-minute winner in their opening tie against Peamount United, while Waves were facing their first game of the new season.

And it was the home side who looked the more match-hardened in the early period as they took the game to the four-times league champions.

There were just six minutes on the clock when former Kilkenny United striker McManus landed her first goal since joining the club last summer.

Stand-in captain Rachel Doyle intercept the ball in midfield and quickly played a through ball for McManus, who touched the ball away from Orlaith Conlon.

Lynn Marie Grant of Wexford Youths in action against Rachel Doyle of DLR Waves

She still had a lot to do as she was forced away from goal, but the striker showed poise the squeeze the ball into the bottom corner past goalkeeper Kiev Gray.

The visitors struggled to create in the early period and their best efforts from set-pieces, with both Lauren Dwyer and Edel Kennedy missing the target with headers.

Waves may have added to their lead when Kerri Letmon weaved down the endline and whipped a ball across the six-yard box but McManus wasn't able to check her run in time.

Youths gradually took control of the game and went close when Lynn Marie Grant's long-range effort narrowly cleared the top corner.

Nadine Clare and substitute went close on the break for Waves, but Youths continued to commit numbers to attack in a bid to find the equaliser.

It arrived with 20 minutes remaining and it took a piece of individual magic from Irish international Ellen Molloy to unlock the defence.

The 17-year-old dribbled in from her right wing and slid a precise ball through for her captain, who calmly slotted the ball into the corner as Waves’ offside appeals were waved away.

The visitors had chances to win it in the final ten minutes as both Sinead Taylor and Ciara Rossiter, from point blank range, were denied by Eve Badana as Waves held out for a valuable point.

DLR Waves: Eve Badana; Nicole Keogh, Jess Gleeson, Niamh Barnes, Niamh Prior; Nadine Clare, Avril Brierley (Katie Malone 60), Rachel Doyle; Kerri Letmon, Shauna Carroll, Carla McManus.

Wexford Youths: Kiev Gray; Nicola Sinnott, Lauren Dwyer, Orlaith Conlon, Ciara Rossiter; Edel Kennedy, Aoibheann Clancy, Kylie Murphy; Ellen Molloy, Aisling Frawley, Lynn Marie Grant.

With Ireland manager Vera Pauw in the stadium, Shelbourne eased to a 3-0 away win against Cork City women in Turner's Cross - a match which marked the 10th anniversary of the Cork club. 

To celebrate, the women's side played at the Turner's Cross venue for the first time ever but on the pitch, it was a birthday to forget for the club.

Emily Whelan of Shelbourne in action against Lauren Walsh of Cork City

They were behind almost immediately, Emily Whelan seizing on a back pass mix-up to walk in the opener, while the returning local Saoirse Noonan bagged two goals to complete a handy 3-0 win for Noel King's charges. 

Elsewhere, Galway WFC dispatched Bohemians 3-1 at Eamonn Deacy Park. Billy Cleary's outfit took the lead on the half-hour mark, when Rachel Kearns, who bagged a hat-trick against Cork, struck the opener.

Kearns was centrally involved in creating the second five minutes later, assisting for Kate Slevin to double the lead. Early in the second half, the contest was effectively settled, Lindsey McKey meeting Chloe Singleton's cross to score. 

Chloe Darby grabbed a consolation for Bohs with 20 minutes left, scoring direct from a corner.

Four goals arrived in a 10 minute spell in the first half as Athlone Town and Treaty United played out an entertaining 3-3 draw at Athlone Town Stadium. Mo Nerney struck first for the hosts on 11 minutes before Rebecca Horgan equalised four minutes later.

Her sister Aoife put the visitors 2-1 up on 18 points before Emma Donohue levelled the game from the spot on 21 minutes. 

Shortly before the break, Rebecca would complete a hat-trick for the Horgan family with a well-taken goal. Katelyn Keogh's strike on 63 minutes left it honours even in the midlands.