Shamrock Rovers midfielder Jack Byrne has said that he has yet to meet the club to discuss his future.

Speaking in the wake of the side's 4-2 FAI Cup final defeat to Dundalk at the Aviva Stadium, Byrne, who has been linked with a move to Mick McCarthy’s APOEL side in Cyprus, has said that he will take some time off before assessing the situation.

"I don’t know, I haven’t sat down with the club," was Byrne’s reply when asked would he be a Shamrock Rovers player next season.

"I love the club, the club have been unbelievable to me. The manager here (Stephen Bradley), Glen Cronin and Stephen McPhail have been unbelievable to me. They're like a second family to me.

"I wouldn’t want to come out and say anything. When it’s done, you’ll know.

"I haven’t made any decisions yet, I’m going to take a week or two off and then see where it leaves me.

"I would just like to thank everyone involved in the club for supporting the team throughout this year because it’s been a very difficult year.

"We’re obviously gutted we couldn’t get the double but we’re happy to bring the league home to the fans. It’s been a long time and thanks for the fans for supporting us all year."

Byrne also hit out at the state of the pitch for final, and was left bemused that Ireland's Nations Cup rugby match with Scotland had been played at the venue the day before.

"It's a joke anyways, the condition the pitch is in."

"To play a rugby match the night before the Cup final, when they’ve had all year to play the game, I don’t even want to talk about it, to be honest. The Cup final should have been finished a week ago, anyways. From that point of view, it’s madness." 

Rovers relinquished their grip on the FAI Cup after Seán Hoare scored for the Lilywhites in extra-time before David McMillan completed his hattrick, and secured a 4-2 win for the Louth side, late on.

Rovers won the title trophy last year against the same opposition to end a 32-year wait, but Byrne said that he didn’t see the match going to spot-kicks like it did on that occasion.

"In the back of my head I didn’t think it was going to go to penalties, I thought someone was going to win it because it was open and both teams were going for it.

"They got the goals and well deserved, they’re a good team and they have some unbelievable players that can hurt you at any moment. The club will be back stronger next year."

Jack Byrne said the final lacked the usual cup final feel with no supporters 

Last year’s showpiece was played out in front of 33,111 fans, and Byrne said that it simply was not the same without the supporters roaring both teams on.

"It is strange, even the build-up to the game," he said.

"Last year you were walking out at the Aviva Stadium, 40,000 people there, family, friends. You’re coming into the dressing room and you’re like a boxer getting ready to go into war.

"It didn’t have that cup final feel, the 40,000 of last year. Take nothing away from it, we obviously wanted to win, we wanted to bring the trophy home for the club.

"It does go to show, even with Dundalk celebrating there, that football is nothing without fans and hopefully we get them back soon."