Dundalk's FAI Cup hero David McMillan said he felt he was having a bad game before he scored his first goal in Sunday's victory over Shamrock Rovers.

But it didn't turn out too badly for the former UCD striker, as his hat-trick helped the Lilywhites to a 12th Extra.ie FAI Cup crown.

The co Louth club were outplayed in the first-half and fell behind to an Aaron Greene goal five minutes after the restart.

They took the lead however in amazing three minute spell as McMillan scored the first two of his goals, the second of which came from the penalty spot.

But SSE Airtricity League champions Rovers showed mental fortitude to fight back and force extra-time.

It looked like we were going to be facing penalties for the second final in-a-row before Sean Hoare put Dundalk back in front.

And McMillan wrapped up the title, and made sure he'd be keeping the match ball afterwards, finishing cooly past Alan Mannus after being set up by Daniel Kelly.

"I can't believe it to be honest," he told RTÉ Sport afterwards.

"I felt I was having a poor game until the first goal. A break of the ball for me and thankfully I put it away. It was a big goal for us because we were 1-0 down at the time.

"Just to cap it off there at the end was brilliant. It just gave us a bit of breathing space - everybody was out on their feet.

"It was a gigantic effort."

It was the perfect way for Dundalk to end the season having surrendered their league title to the Tallaght club earlier in the year.

The club were involved in Europa League action against Molde on Thursday, but McMillan was quick to point out that he was fresher than some of his teammates.

"It was easy for me because I only played 10 minutes (in Norway)," he pointed out.

"There's a couple of people there who've played 120 minutes tonight and played close to 90 minutes in Molde.

"So it's just a huge, huge effort from everybody. We were 'backs against the wall' a little bit but we turned it around and I thought we played superbly in the second-half."