West Brom missed the chance to go back to the top of the Sky Bet Championship after scraping a 1-1 draw at struggling Wigan.

The Latics - with manager Paul Cook in the stands, serving a one-game touchline ban - were the better side for virtually all the game.

After Jamal Lowe had squandered a gilt-edged opportunity in the first half, Wigan deservedly led through a bizarre goal five minutes after the break.

Skipper Sam Morsy's shot was tipped on to the post by goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, who then unwittingly diverted the ball into his own net.

Michael Jacobs hit the bar for Wigan shortly after and the home side paid for their profligacy with a goal even more unusual than the opener.

Wigan goalkeeper Jamie Jones temporarily turned his back on the action to take a drink in his goal, and turned to see Antonee Robinson's backpass rolling towards him.

Jones picked the ball up and was immediately penalised, with Jake Livermore touching the free-kick to Charlie Austin, who slammed home from six yards.

After that it was end to end stuff, but neither side were able to nick all three points, with Wigan remaining in the bottom three.

A stunning solo goal and another from a Blues old boy brought reviving QPR a 2-0 win at Birmingham.

Bright Osayi-Samuel lit up St Andrew's with his goal after Rangers captain Grant Hall started it all late in the first half.

Hall put Rangers ahead seconds before the end of the first period with his third goal of the season.

He had seven games on loan with Blues from parent club Tottenham five years ago, prior to a permanent move to QPR, and that just made it harder for Birmingham to take.

They were picked off again in the 67th minute when Osayi-Samuel started from the halfway line and just surged past everyone.

Brentford moved to within a point of the play-off places with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Cardiff.

Bryan Mbeumo gave the Bees the lead with a cool first-half finish and Ollie Watkins headed in a second shortly after the restart, before Marlon Pack's piledriver gave the Bluebirds hope.

Sheffield Wednesday missed out on a return to the Sky Bet Championship play-off places after Chris Martin's late penalty rescued a point for Derby in a 1-1 draw at Pride Park.

Steven Fletcher put Wednesday ahead after 23 minutes but the Owls failed to turn their dominance into further goals as Garry Monk's side missed out on a third straight win.

Derby extended their unbeaten home run to nine matches, but on this evidence the introduction of England's leading scorer Wayne Rooney to the playing squad in January cannot come soon enough, with the Rams taking 79 minutes to register a shot on target.

Wednesday full-back Moses Odubajo, who conceded the penalty, was sent off in stoppage time when he was shown a second yellow card for a late tackle on Scott Malone.

Barnsley missed a chance to collect a valuable three points as they squandered the lead in a 1-1 draw with Reading at Oakwell.

The Tykes sit at the foot of the Sky Bet Championship table and are now on a run of one win in 20 league matches.

Off the field, a dispute involving former boss Daniel Stendel - now in charge of Hearts - has been an unwanted distraction this week, but Cauley Woodrow's 58th-minute strike looked to have put Barnsley on the road to a big result in the club's fight for second-tier survival.

However, Lucas Joao found the net 14 minutes from time to earn the visiting Royals a share of the spoils, with Mark Bowen's men having struggled to create clear-cut chances up to that point.

Swansea and Blackburn shared the spoils in a 1-1 Liberty Stadium draw that saw both sides reduced to 10 men.

Danny Graham's early goal was quickly cancelled out by Andre Ayew as Swansea stopped Blackburn's four-game winning streak and generated some confidence after two successive defeats.

Both sides had a man sent off in the second half as Swansea midfielder Tom Carroll and Blackburn forward Bradley Dack were banished for two bookable offences.