Cork City and Derry City couldn’t be separated following a tight encounter at Turner’s Cross, meaning they both had to settle for their first draw of the new Premier Division season.

Derry will be the happier of the two sides with the draw as Cork have now failed to score in three of their opening four games - although this was their first clean sheet.

John Caulfield named the same starting XI that defeated Sligo Rovers 2-1 at the Showgrounds on Monday night but they failed to carry that momentum into the opening stages here.

Gearoid Morrissey scored an incredible winner from long range in that game and he attempted to reproduce those heroics after 16 minutes but his shot was easily saved by Peter Cherrie on his first appearance back at Turner’s Cross since leaving in the off-season.

Declan Devine was forced into making a late change to his personnel as Patrick McClean pulled out with an injury in the warm-up meaning Ciaran Coll took his place at left back in their only switch from an excellent 3-2 victory against Waterford last time out.

Cork City manager John Caulfield

The visitors only effort during a dour first half also came from distance but Darren Cole could only blast his shot high and wide and into the Shed End.

The Leesiders created the final chance of the opening period in the 35th minute but Shane Griffin was unfortunate to see his low drive from almost 30 yards clip the base of the far right post.

The Candystripes were looking for their first league win on this ground since 2013 and just their second success in 28 visits and they started the second period the better team.

Again, they tried their luck from distance but Mark McNulty did well to tip Ally Gilchrist’s powerful, dipping shot over the top of his bar.

Derry forced three corner-kicks in quick succession with the Cork defence just about scrambling the second clear from right in front of their own goal.

Cork finished the game strongly with Dan Smith and Conor McCarthy failing to finish from close range following crosses to the back post late on as the sides settled for a share of the spoils.

CORK CITY: Mark McNulty; Conor McCarthy, Dan Casey, Séan McLoughlin (Colm Horgan 59), Shane Griffin; Conor McCormack, Gearoid Morrissey; Dáire O’Connor (James Tilley 59), Garry Buckley, Karl Sheppard; Liam Nash (Dan Smith 79).

DERRY CITY: Peter Cherrie; Darren Cole, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll; Ciaron Harkin, Gregg Sloggett; Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe (Eoghan Stokes 60), Barry McNamee, Michael McCrudden (Aidy Delap 71); David Parkhouse (Gianni Seraf 89).

Referee: Robert Rogers (Dublin)