Eden Hazard came off the substitutes' bench to send Chelsea into the Carabao Cup semi-final at the expense of Bournemouth.

A foot injury meant Hazard was not risked from the start, but he came on with 30 minutes to go and scored a deflected effort six minutes from time to settle Wednesday's quarter-final at Stamford Bridge.

Hazard's 10th goal of the season earned a 1-0 win to keep Maurizio Sarri's hopes of his first managerial silverware alive and ended the Cherries' bid for a first League Cup semi-final place.

The fixture was a repeat of the same stage of the same competition a year ago. Then Dan Gosling's 89th-minute equaliser was rendered irrelevant by Alvaro Morata's stoppage-time winner in Chelsea's 2-1 victory.

Both sides made six changes, with Bournemouth fielding a three-man defence, five-man midfield and a frontline which included Callum Wilson, who has been linked with a January move to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea, as expected, dominated possession, but Bournemouth troubled their hosts time and again.

Ross Barkley, one of Chelsea's changes, forced Artur Boruc into a save after two minutes with a near-post flick and the midfielder's 25-yard drive was next turned around the post by the goalkeeper.

Wilson then demonstrated some of the qualities which have attracted Chelsea's attentions. He turned away from Antonio Rudiger and found his strike partner Lys Mousset.

Mousset surged forwards before passing to Wilson, who snatched at the shot, slicing wide.

Boruc saved from Olivier Giroud and David Brooks shot at Kepa Arrizabalaga before a good opportunity, with Wilson involved in the build-up, concluded with Brooks firing into the back of Mousset.

Chelsea's best opportunity of the first half was created by Ruben Loftus-Cheek, who charged clear following some fine interplay with Mateo Kovacic on Chelsea's right.

Loftus-Cheek floated a pass for Willian to run on to, one on one with Boruc, but the goalkeeper was alert to spread himself to save.

Kepa next saved Mousset's shot from the edge of the area after a strong Jordon Ibe run.

Loftus-Cheek was enjoying his more advanced role and threatened in early in the second half. His jinky run included a one-two with Cesar Azpilicueta before a low shot struck the outside of the post.

Sarri wanted more. Hazard was was sent on for Barkley with 30 minutes to go.

Cherries boss Eddie Howe turned to his own attacking ace. Ryan Fraser was sent on and immediately crossed menacingly, with Kepa gathering.

Fraser shot over before Hazard took control.

Hazard attempted the intricate route and found his path repeatedly blocked, so next shot high and wide from the edge of the area.

Azpilicueta blocked a Wilson drive, with Bournemouth appeals for handball dismissed.

Chelsea scored soon afterwards, with substitutes Pedro and Hazard combining.

Pedro pulled the ball back, with Emerson Palmieri present, but more as an inadvertent decoy, and Hazard's shot took a deflection off Daniels to beat Boruc.

Boruc saved from Emerson in stoppage time after a fine run from Hazard and then denied Giroud after another Hazard cross.

The goalkeeper was sent forward for a late set-piece, but Chelsea denied the Cherries to advance.