Fulham 1-3 Sunderland
Sunderland looked like they would become the latest Premier League victim of a shock-filled FA Cup fourth round until Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli's embarrassing fumble help them turnaround this replay.

Little over a week after Chelsea, Manchester City, Tottenham and Southampton saw their hopes go up in smoke, Gus Poyet's side looked like they would follow suit after Hugo Rodallega gave the Championship side a first-half lead.

However, an unfortunate own goal from the otherwise impressive Bettinelli was followed up by a fine strike from Ricardo Alvarez and Jordi Gomez's penalty as Sunderland secured a 3-1 win at Craven Cottage.

A trip to giant-killing Bradford now awaits in the fifth round for Sunderland, who dominated proceedings for the most part.

However, poor finishing and fine goalkeeping from Bettinelli allowed Fulham to make the breakthrough in the 28th minute as Rodallega struck home their first real chance .

Ross McCormack threatened to add to that strike but Sunderland pushed for a leveller which came in slapstick fashion as Bettinelli somehow fumbled a deflected Patrick van Aanholt cross over the line.

It proved the catalyst to a Sunderland comeback and Alvarez, the evening's standout player, cut in from the right to unleash a fierce drive to put the visitors ahead with 15 minutes remaining.

Gomez's stoppage-time penalty to a chorus of "cheat, cheat, cheat" rubber-stamped their progress to the fifth round.

It was a result many had expected when the line-ups were announced, with Poyet only making three alterations from the vital league win against Burnley.

That continuity appeared to have the desired effect as Sunderland began impressively, with Bettinelli at his best to stop Gomez.

Steven Fletcher, a late inclusion in the line-up after Connor Wickham dropped out, was the next to threaten, finding the net only for the goal to be chalked off.

The Scotland striker was soon back at the heart of things, forcing Bettinelli into a save before the Fulham goalkeeper burst off his line to stop him reaching a through-ball.

Kit Symons' side were being reduced to counter-attacks and long, hopefuls punts forwards until the 27th minute, when a last-ditch intervention was all that prevented a Kostas Stafylidis cross being turned home.

The resulting corner, taken by McCormack, caused confusion in the 18-yard box and Rodallega capitalised, firing home from close range after an initial effort from Cauley Woodrow was thwarted.

It was a sucker punch to which Sunderland did not react too well, and McCormack felt he should have had a penalty moments later, only for referee Paul Tierney to wave away his appeals against Alvarez.

The Argentina international had efforts of differing quality as Poyet's side attempted to level, while Van Aanholt's mis-hit cross came close.

McCormack fizzed a strike inches wide as Fulham went close to doubling their lead before a half-time break during which Poyet must have had strong words given his side's improved display.

Jermain Defoe was proving a nuisance and Alvarez threatened, before Van Aanholt missed a great opportunity under pressure.

Alex Kacaniklic headed wide at the other end, but that was a rare moment of respite for Fulham, who conceded in embarrassing circumstances as Bettinelli fumbled a simple, deflected Van Aanholt cross over his own line.

Emanuele Giaccherini went close to putting Sunderland ahead for the first time moments later, curling inches wide, as the game became increasingly stretched.

Seko Fofana fizzed an effort wide minutes after wasting a fine chance to shoot, before Bettinelli raced off his line to smother Alvarez.

The Inter Milan loanee was not to be denied for long, though, running into the box and cutting onto his left foot, before belting a strike home.

It was a deserved goal by the Black Cats, who could have well been reduced to 10 men when Giaccherini raised his hands to Fofana - an incident which led both players to be booked.

Fulham made late changes in a bid to force the match into extra time, but there was to be no leveller.

In fact, Sunderland pulled further ahead in stoppage time, with Gomez scoring from the spot after Shaun Hutchinson was adjudged to have fouled Danny Graham.