Derry City were only able to secure a point for the third game in a row, this time with a 1-1 draw at home to UCD.

And Aaron Callaghan's side had two glorious chances in the second half to secure the points, as City struggled after doing well in the opening 45 minutes.

Under pressure City boss Roddy Collins made four changes to his team, with Patrick McEleney, Danny Ventre, Ryan Curran and Dean Jarvis all starting.

Aaron Barry, Mark Stewart and Raymond Foy had to settle for a place on the bench and Barry Molloy was missing because of a hamstring problem as expected.

Regular penalty taker Rory Patterson was sorely missed on 11 minutes as Derry missed a spot-kick when Shane McEleney’s effort was saved by a diving Conor O’Donnell.

Soon after O’Donnell came to his side’s rescue again - this time the UCD net-minder parried away Ryan Curran’s angled drive from the left hand side of the box.

Aaron Callaghan’s side took the lead on 35 minutes in fantastic style when Robert Benson’s clever chip from 20 yards sailed over Gerard Doherty and into the net.

Just before half-time an Enda Curran’s curling effort from the left was tipped away for a corner by O’Donnell.

Derry levelled things a minute later when McGovern’s initial corner was cleared to McEleney on the edge of the box. He fed the Scot again and his delightful centre from the right found an unmarked Michael Duffy who gleefully headed home from close range.

UCD came close on 47 minutes when Cillian Morrison’s pass released Benson, he rounded Doherty, but with the goal at his mercy the midfielder’s side-footed effort hit the post.

Just before the hour mark Chris Mulhall was the latest UCD man to get in behind the Derry defence, but his shot was saved by Doherty.

Belhout should have given his side the lead again on 78 minutes when he broke the offside trap but with only Doherty to beat his attempted lob over Doherty sailed just over the bar.

Derry City: Doherty, Collins, Byrne, Elebert (Barry H-T), Jarvis; McGovern (Stewart 70), Ventre, P McEleney (Foy 80), Duffy; E Curran, R Curran.

UCD: O’Donnell, Langtry, Boyle, Kavanagh, Creevy, Benson, Mulhall, Douglas, Crowe, Belhout, Morrison.

Referee: Mr Rob Harvey (Dublin).