Bohemians belied their lowly league position with an impressive performance and result as they beat Derry City 2-0 at Dalymount Park to move further away from the relegation battle.

The match was just four minutes old when Karl Moore’s freekick from the right hand side resulted in Ryan McBride fouling Stephen Traynor inside the box after a period of aerial pinball.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, and Ryan McEvoy converted the penalty expertly, low into the corner to the keeper’s left.

Bohs were playing all the football in the early stages and went 2-0 up when McEvoy doubled his tally on 22 minutes. Keith Buckley sent in a beautiful cross from deep on the right hand side, picking out McEvoy, whose floated header from 15-yards found the back of the net.

McEvoy could have had a hat-trick inside half an hour, but saw his header, this time from a Stephen Traynor cross on the right, sail over the bar.

Derry did come back into the match somewhat as the half entered the dying stages, Ryan McBride, Rory Patterson and Michael Duffy all having half-chances which came to nothing.

Bohemians continued to have the better of it after the break, centre-forward Dinny Corcoran in particular looking dangerous.

And it was the threat of Corcoran which ultimately led to a red card for McBride.

Corcoran was steaming towards goal and when he was inches outside the box was cynically brought down by McBride, who paid the price for his indiscretion with an early trip back to the dressing rooms.

From there it was always going to be a mountain for Derry to climb, and although Duffy had another chance with a header inside the box on 72 minutes, and right-back Simon Madden found himself in an advanced position before flashing a shot across the face of the goal on 77 minutes, the Bohemians defence held out and a vital three points were secured in their bid to avoid relegation.

Bohemian FC: Dean Delaney, Derek Pender, Roberto Lopes, Neil Yadolahi, Luke Byrne, Keith Buckley (Andy Mulligan 86), Ryan McEvoy, Dave Mulcahy, Karl Moore, Stephen Traynor, Dinny Corcoran (Chris Lyons 90+3)

Derry City: Ger Doherty, Dean Jarvis, Shane McEleney, Ruaidhri Higgins, David McDaid, (Patrick McEleney 57), Rory Patterson, Ryan McBride, Michael Rafter, Simon Madden, Michael Duffy (Ryan Curran 81), Barry McNamee

Referee: A Kelly