UCD became further embroiled in relegation trouble after losing 2-0 to Cork City at Turner's Cross in the Airtricity Premier League.

Bohemians go ahead of the Students while Cork City consolidated their sixth place position in the table.

Two fortunate first half goals from Cork City's Ian Turner after eight and 16 minutes meant the home side were 2-0 up at half-time, although UCD deserved more from a half in which they created the better chances and had the less busy goalkeeper.

It didn't take Cork City long to show new technical director and former Waterford United manager Paul O’Brien what they could do.

With nine minutes gone Cork City were awarded a penalty. After a flowing move, midfielder Ian Turner crossed a dangerous ball that a UCD defender got a touch on but it bounced up into the arm of UCD's Gary Burke standing a few yards behind him.

Referee Kevin O'Regan pointed to the spot, despite strong appeals from the Students and Turner confidently struck it to 'keeper Mark McGinley's left.

It got better for City after 16 minutes when Ian Turner's well struck but centrally aimed shot from just outside the box was deflected by the foot of UCD centreback Mick Leahy. That touch cruelly deflected the ball past the 'keeper. Turner, to his credit, did not celebrate.

UCD could feel aggrieved that their good spells of passing had come to naught, while City had scored two somewhat fortunate goals.

The Students' best chance came after 38 minutes when midfielder Robbie Creevy headed just wide with a wonderful diving header from a Gary Burke corner.

The home side began the second half with more purpose and UCD's McGinley had to save from Kilduff on two occasions after good work from Danny Murphy. He proved equal on both occasions and the forward missed with the rebounds.

After an hour, Danny Morrissey missed a golden chance inside the six yard box. He won't be happy that he headed over from only four yards from Daryl Horgan's accurate cross.

Thereafter Cork City failed to manufacture any chances of note, while UCD could not create any pressure on the home team's goal.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Ian Turner (Colin Healy 58), Danny Murphy, Gearóid Morrissey (John Dunleavy 78), Shane Duggan, Danny Morrissey (Rob Lehane 82), Dan Murray (C), Daryl Horgan, Garry Buckley, John Kavanagh, Ciarán Kilduff.

Subs not used: Kalen Spillane, Brian Lenihan, Stephen Kenny, Dave Ryan.

UCD: Mark McGinley, Gareth Matthews (Hugh Douglas 52), Mark Langtry, David O'Connor, Mick Leahy, Barry McCabe, Robbie Creevy (Craig Walsh 80), Robbie Benson, Sean Russell, Cillian Morrison (Dean Clarke 55).

Subs not used: Geard Barron, Jame Kavanagh, Michael Kelly, Thomas O'Halloran.

Referee: Kevin O'Regan.