A freak Thomond Park Airtricity League encounter eventually concluded with Limerick FC and Bray Wanderers sharing the spoils on a 4-4 scoreline. 

Ismahil Akinade was sharp enough to finish off John Mulroy's pass, then Limerick levelled on 40 courtesy of Joe Gamble, but Akinade had Bray in front again in the 42nd minute.

Two minutes after the restart Axel Bossekota equalised again, then Bray substitute Ryan Coombes had the visitors in front.

Craig Curran had two deflected goals on 78 and 85 to edge Limerick ahead, but Bray levelled courtesy of Kevin O'Connor on 87 before he was sent off for a second caution in stoppage time. 

Bray married graft with craft in the first quarter and a surprisingly sluggish Limerick were fortunate to only concede once.

That goal arrived in the fifth minute and it owed everything to the drive and desire of Akinade, who scored a delightful goal.

Mulroy's pass vexed the Limerick defence and Akinade reacted smartly to drill the visitors ahead as Limerick were in bother.

Craig Curran saw a deflected effort go wide for Limerick, who were fortunate that Bray spurned a gilt edged chance in the 13th minute.

Kieran Marty Waters, clever on the left, located Mulroy in the area, but the Bray midfielder failed to convert from close range.

Shane Tracy darted forward to supply an inviting 24th minute cross for Axel Bossekota, who couldn't direct a header on target.

Pat Devlin's visitors were in the groove and Ryan had to make a splendid reflex save on 28 to deny a blistering Mulroy volley.

Waters was prominent for Bray and the winger, rumoured to be a transfer target of Shamrock Rovers, clipped a shot from an acute angle off the post in the 38th minute.

And then two minutes later Limerick were level when Joe Gamble netted the rebound following a Darren Quigley save from a Shane Tracy free-kick.

But it was an entertaining encounter and Bray replied with a goal of their own on 42 when Akinade bustled through to score again.

Two minutes after the restart Limerick responded with a controversial equaliser when Bossekota headed home an O'Leary corner.

Bray felt that goalkeeper Darren Quigley had been fouled by Curran which allowed Bossekota head the ball into an unguarded net.

Akinade could have notched a hat-trick, but missed a close range header before Bray grabbed a third goal on 74.

Substitute Ryan Coombes picked Robbie Williams' pocket and provided an ice cool finish to nudge the visitors ahead.

Inevitably there was a Limerick revival with a deflected Curran attempt creeping into the top corner as the locals fought back for a third time.

Curran guided Limerick into an improbable advantage on 85 and Bray boss Pat Devlin was ordered out of the technical area.

O'Connor was skilful enough to climb highest to connect with a Waters free kick on 87 as Bray rescued a deserved point. The hard working Bray anchorman was sent off in stoppage time, but the Seagulls were happy to avoid a defeat.

Limerick FC: Barry Ryan; Shaun Kelly, Robbie Williams, Stephen Folan, Shane Tracy (Shane Costelloe, 72); Joe Gamble, Dave O'Leary (Stephen Bradley, 68), Darragh Rainsford; Danny Galbraith, Craig Curran, Axel Bossekota.

Subs not used: Shane Cusack, Rory Gaffney, Brian O'Callaghan, Barry Sheedy, Val Feeney.

Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley; Eoin Hyland (Ryan Coombes, 58), Dave Webster, Shane O'Connor, Conor Earley; John Mulroy, Gary Dempsey, Kevin O'Connor, Dean Zambra, Kieran Marty Waters; Ismahil Akinade (Jason Byrne, 86).

Subs not used: Sean Noble, Niall Cooney, Dwayne Wilson, Shane Redmond.

Referee: S Grant (Wexford).