Cork City arrested their four match losing run at home in the Airtricity League when they beat Drogheda United 1-0 at Turner's Cross through a magnificent Daryl Horgan goal.

The Cork winger broke the deadlock in the 70th minute.

Picking up the ball outside the box, Horgan faced a host of defenders. He went one way and checked, flooring one defender and then repeated the trick on a second defender before chipping the ball from the edge of the box into the top left corner beyond the goalkeeper Gabriel Sava's despairing dive.

It was perhaps the only moment of true class on show at a game that provided plenty of huff and puff but little quality.

After a very poor first half, Cork's improved second half performance was enough to secure them three points, while the visitors, who went close through a Michael Daly effort, were condemned to their fourth defeat in a row.

The game's first decent chance came after 10 minutes when the visitors should have gone ahead after slack play by Cork City in their own half.

A cross by Drogheda's Gary O'Neill, who found a lot of space on the left, was put wide at the back post by Cathal Brady who slid in at speed but should have scored.

The visitors began with better fluency and threatened more frequently than the home side, though they didn't create any other very notable chances in the first half.

Drogheda did manage to win six corners, while the home side only managed one. Cork did have a few shots on target, through Gearóid Morrissey and Danny Furlong, though neither had sufficient power to trouble Sava in the Drogheda goal.

Cork's Mark McNulty had far more to deal with although Drogs didn't manage to get many shots on target. Their front pairing of Declan O'Brien and Garry O'Neill did impress with their movement and awareness.

The Leesiders opened the second half with far more attacking intent. They dominated possession and territory for the first time. Danny Furlong could have scored twice in two minutes when just failing to convert chances at the back post.

Drogheda almost equalised after 74 minutes from a corner when centre back Daly slammed a header into the crossbar from close range.

The home crowd endured a succession of late half-chances but none were converted by the visitors, sending Tommy Dunne into the summer break a little happier, while Mick Cooke will be disappointed to have suffered another defeat this week.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Danny Murphy, Darren Dennehy, Gearóid Morrissey, Shane Duggan, Danny Furlong (Garry Buckley 82), Danny Morrissey (Daryl Kavanagh 59), John Dunleavy, Dan Murray, Neal Horgan (C), Daryl Horgan.

Subs: Kevin Burns, Ian Turner, Adam Rundle, Kalen Spillane, Stephen Kenny.

Drogheda United: Gabriel Sava, Shane Grimes, Philip Hand, Paul O'Connor, Cathal Brady (Ryan Brennan 62), Gary O'Neill, Gavin Brennan, David Cassidy, Declan O'Brien (C) (Peter Hynes 62), Michael Daly, Alan Byrne.

Subs: Evin Farrell, Derek Predergast, Graham Ruck, Jason Marks, Brian Gannon.

Referee: Jim McKell.