Dundalk have come from 2-0 down to claim an unlikely point against Limerick in the Airtricity Premier Division.

After bossing most of the game, Limerick twice stunned their opponents with goals in either half from Axel Bossekota and Shaun Kelly.

But Dundalk recovered with goals from Dane Massey (72) and John Sullivan (79) in the final 18 minutes to rescue a share of the spoils.

The home side had played most of the football in the first half but they found themselves behind at the break after Axel Bossekota outpaced the defence and finished past Peter Cherrie.

And despite Dundalk pressing hard for an equaliser, it was Limerick who silenced the 1,500-strong Oriel Park faithful when Shaun Kelly shot in from four-yards after Danny Galbraith’s shot came back off the post.

Dundalk, though, rescued a point with another late comeback, just as they had done in their previous home outing against Drogheda United eight days earlier, with Massey heading in Richie Towell’s corner and then, from a John Dillon corner, Sullivan struck for the leveller.

Dundalk were making most of the running but it was Limerick who took the lead on 43 minutes when Bossekota showed great pace to get away after latching onto Stephen Bradley’s pass and he finished clinically beyond Cherrie.

Dundalk almost replied immediately but Keith Ward’s free-kick from just outside the box agonisingly came back off the crossbar, and they went close again on 51 minutes when Kurtis Byrne hit a fierce shot that was pushed away by Barry Ryan.

Limerick then stunned the hosts again on 68 minutes when Bossekota found Galbraith whose shot came back off the post, but Kelly was on hand to fire in from close range.

Within four minutes, Dundalk were back in it, though, when Towell’s corner was headed home by Massey, and 11 minutes from time they were level when Sullivan shot in following a corner, a goal which may have got a nick off Tiarnán Mulvenna on the way.

But despite two efforts from Mulvenna, Ryan doing well to hold the first one, Dundalk could not force a winner.

Dundalk: Cherrie, Sullivan, Boyle, Rossiter (Shields 82), Massey, Towell, Mountney (Meenan 70), Dillon, Ward, Byrne (Mulvenna 66), Faherty.

Limerick: Ryan, Kelly, Browne, Folan, Tracy (Nzuzi 82), Gamble, Bradley, Galbraith, O’Leary (Rainsford 77), Bossekota, Curran.

Referee: Derek Tomney (Dublin).