A pair of clinically taken goals in each half eased Derry City to victory at Dalymount Park and to within two points of Airtricity Premier Division leaders Sligo Rovers overnight.

Paddy McEleney set Derry on their way with a screamer on 13 minutes with Michael Rafter drilling in a second on 26.

Ryan McBride headed the third on 75 minutes before Barry McNamee completed the rout with a calmly taken fourth two minutes later.

In front of President Michael D Higgins, making one of his regular visits to domestic football action, Bohemians started confidently with full-back Luke Byrne causing Derry problems down the left.

Byrne had an early shout for a penalty waved away before he put Ciaran Nangle in to flash a fiercely struck shot wide across goal.

It was a bright start by the home side that was soon abruptly deflated as Derry snatched a 13th minute lead.

Out of nothing, Paddy McEleney cut in from the left wing and unleashed a shot from some 25 yards that flew over Dean Delany to bounce down over the goal line off the underside of the keeper’s crossbar.

Derry doubled their lead on 26 minutes. Nangle allowed Ruaidhri Higgins’s ball down the line to go under his foot, with the bumpy pitch possibly to blame. Right-back Simon Madden was there on the overlap to cross low into the area where Michael Rafter took a touch before drilling his shot past Delany.

It might have been three a couple of minutes later as the negligently marked Higgins headed over at the back post from Barry McNamee’s corner.

Dave Mulcahy relieved the pressure on Bohemians with their first shot on target, if straight at Doherty, on 31 minutes.

Four minutes later Derry were back with Madden again causing problems down the right when working Delany with an angled drive.

With Keith Buckley on at the break, Callaghan pushed Kevin Devaney up front as Bohs chased the game.

A shout for a penalty for a handball by Barry Molloy fell on deaf ears while Roberto Lopes then worked Doherty from the resultant corner.

But Derry remained very dangerous on the counterattack and almost went further ahead ten minutes in.

McNamee’s shot came off defender Stephen Paisley and Delaney reacted well to parry away a snap shot from Rafter.

The lively McName was then instrumental in Derry's third killer goal on 75 minutes. His shot was cleared off the line by Ryan McEvoy and central defender Ryan McBride headed the rebound to the corner of the net.

Two minutes later McNamee raced clear to slide home the fourth goal.

Bohemians: Delany; Pender, Lopes, Paisley, Byrne; Devaney, Mulcahy, McEvoy, Nangle (Moore 76); Traynor (Buckley, h/t), Scully.

Derry City: Doherty; Madden, McBride, S. McEleney, Crawley (McCaffrey 83), Kavanagh (Duffy 78), Molloy, Higgins, P. McEleney; B. McNamee; Rafter (Griffin 79).

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Cork).