A spectacular second-half equaliser from Bohemians' captain Evan McMillan saved the home side's blushes and earned Aaron Callaghan's side a 1-1 draw at Dalymount Park.

Bohs will perhaps feel they deserved more from the game, although they struggled in the first half. A late sending-off for Keith Ward for will add to their woes. He saw a second yellow for an injury-time dive in the penalty area.

Neither side created much in the opening stages and it was the first clear-cut chance of the match which led to Cork's goal.

Vinny Sullivan picked the ball up in midfield on 16 minutes and spread it wide to Daryl Hogan on the right hand side, who ran at the Bohs defence before sending in a near-perfect ball which Sullivan met on the volley six yards out.

The away side were a little unlucky not to double their lead in the 34th minute. Sullivan and Hogan linked up well again and Hogan put in another great cross from the right.

Sullivan sent it goalward, this time with his head, but the post saved Bohemians.

The half ended with a flurry of penalty appeals by Bohs for handball. On 42 minutes, David Mulcahy's shot came off Kalen Spillane, but the defender did not know a lot about it.

Two minutes later Kevin Devaney's shot rebounded off Gary Buckley, but again the referee said no.

Whatever Bohemians manager Aaron Callaghan said at half-time seemed to work. Bohs improved greatly early in the second half. Chances for Keith Ward from a free and sub David Scully from a close range header came and went before Evan McMillan scored a contender for goal of the season.

As Bohs continued to press, McMillan found some space at the edge of the box and put his right-foot shot into the top corner with pinpoint accuracy, giving Cork ‘keeper Mark McNulty no chance.

Cork almost responded immediately, Horgan's shot from outside the box going just wide, but the away team were restricted to long-range chances for most of the second half.

The home fans thought they had been awarded a penalty deep in injury-time when Ward went down in the area, but the referee gave a free to Cork.

Ward, who had been booked mid-way through the first half, received a second booking for diving and watched the last few seconds from the sideline.

Bohemians: Greg Murray, Owen Heary, Roberto Lopes, Evan McMillan, Kevin Feely, Michael Barker, David Mulcahy, Keith Ward, Andy Mulligan, Ken Carr, Kevin Devaney.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Danny Murphy, Gavin Kavanagh, Shane Duggan, Davin O'Neill, Vinny Sullivan, John Dunleavy, Kalen Spillane, Kevin Murray, Daryl Hogan, Gary Buckley.

Referee: Rob Rogers.