Sligo Rovers dropped two points in the Airtricity League Premier Division title race when they were held to a 0-0 draw against Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds.

Sligo’s Raffaele Cretaro had appeals for a penalty turned down when brought down by Massey in the first half.

Cretaro, Jeff Henderson and David Crawley had chances for the away side but they couldn’t find a way past Bray goal Darren Quigley.

Shane O’Connor had good chance for Bray before 'Marty' Waters forced Gary Rogers into a superb save to ensure a share of the spoils.

Both teams had spells of control and possession and either team could have taken the three points.

Mark Quigley had the first real chance of the game as he was put through down the right but he chose not to square the ball to the unmarked Danny Ventre and the chance was lost.

Straight down the other end and Jason Byrne almost gave the home side the lead but he fired over from 18 yards.

Sligo Rovers had a shout for a penalty after ten minutes but they had a bigger shout eight minutes later. Cretaro looked to have been fouled by Massey but referee Anthony Buttimer waved play-on.

Mark Quigley was again involved for Sligo but Darren Quigley made a good save to tip over. A move involving Quigley, Lee Lynch and Seamus Conneely almost created a goal but Lynch could not get a touch at the back post.

Pressure from Shane O’Connor on the edge of the penalty box created a chance for Jason Byrne but his shot was saved. Bray continued to create and Kieran Marty Waters crossed but Byrne couldn’t reach the ball.

Sligo had a chance of their own minutes later as Ross Gaynor crossed from the right but Jeff Henderson failed to get his strike on target.

Bray continued to press and Dean Zambra’s shot was deflected by Waters which forced Gary Rogers into a superb save.

The Seagulls had another great chance in the opening five minutes of the second half. Shane O’Connor progressed down the right before finding Jason Byrne infield. Byrne returned the ball for O’Connor to strike narrowly wide.

Bray continued their good start to the second half when Waters’ corner was not properly cleared and Daire Doyle let fly from distance that left Rogers scrambling across his goal. The ball drifted inches wide of the post.

The home side continued to create and Rogers had to be alert to rush out to gather under pressure from Kieran Marty Waters after Sean Houston’s good through ball.

Mark Quigley went close once again with 20minutes remaining but he could not steer Gaynor’s cross on target. Cretaro had a chance of his own after controlling David Cawley’s cross, but his weak shot was saved by Quigley in the Bray goal.

Rovers begun to over-run Bray with 15 minutes to go, as Joseph Ndo found Mark Quigley but his quick-fire 35-yard strike went over the crossbar.

Seven minutes from full time, Cawley almost broke the deadlock. Mark Quigley’s ball found the midfielder but Darren Quigley made a smart save.

Adam Mitchell almost handed Sligo the lead with two minutes to go when his skewed clearance from Gaynor’s cross could have ended up in the back of the net.

And that turned out to be the last chance of the game as Sligo Rovers dropped two points in the Premier Division title race. As for Bray, they worked very hard on the night, created plenty of chances and were very much worthy of a point.

Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley, Dane Massey, Adam Mitchell, Danny O’Connor, Shane O’Connor, Sean Houston, Dean Zambra, Daire Doyle, Kieran Marty Waters, John Mulroy (Adam Hanlon, 84 mins), Jason Byrne.

Sligo Rovers: Gary Rogers, Seamus Conneely, Jason McGuinness, Jeff Henderson (Ryan Connolly, 85 mins), Ross Gaynor, Danny Ventre (Pascal Millien, 71), David Crawley, Joseph Ndo, Lee Lynch, Raffaele Cretaro, Mark Quigley.