World number two Judd Trump overcame a 3-0 deficit against the in-form Barry Hawkins to reach the second round of the Shanghai Masters.

Having lost the first frame, Trump was in first with 56 in the second but was unable to get over the line and Hawkins, the Goldfields Australian Open champion, cleared to the pink to take a 2-0 lead.

Hawkins also took the next before Trump finally got on the board and a break of 58 from the left-hander made it 3-2.

Trump moved in front with breaks of 63 and 77 before sealing victory with his fifth frame in a row.

Four-time world champion John Higgins also came from behind to seal an ultimately comfortable 5-2 win over Jamie Jones.

Jones led 2-1 and was 40 ahead in the fourth frame before calling a foul on himself which let Higgins in with a break of 43 to level the match.

Higgins potted the first 10 reds with blacks in the next frame before running out of position and missing a double to keep his hopes of a 147 alive.

However, further breaks of 95 and 70 were enough to seal the win and set up a clash with another Welshman in the next round after Ryan Day battled past Martin Gould 5-4.

Gould led 4-3 before Day responded with his second century, 103, and closed out the match in the decider.

Elsewhere, Graeme Dott eased past Jin Long 5-2 to set up a clash with Stephen Lee, who came from 3-2 down to beat Marcus Campbell 5-3 in an attritional encounter in the morning session.

Australian Neil Robertson will meet fellow Cambridge resident Joe Perry after a 5-2 win over wild-card Chen Feilong.

The 2010 world champion was not at his best throughout but found enough form to put together breaks of 88, 53 and 61 to progress.

Ricky Walden held off a stirring comeback from six-time world champion Steve Davis to win 5-4.

Davis came from 4-1 behind to take it to a decider, but a break of 92 saw the Chester player over the line.

Stuart Bingham beat Tom Ford by the same scoreline after a gripping match which swung to and fro.

Ford led 2-0 but Bingham responded with a 70 break and levelled at the interval. He then came back from big deficits to win the next two with runs of 71 and 57 and though Ford levelled and the deciding frame went to the wire, Bingham won a protracted safety battle to pot the decisive final red.