Wales' preparations for their Autumn Nations Series opener against New Zealand on Saturday have been hit by centre Willis Halaholo testing positive for Covid-19.

The Cardiff player was a strong contender to start in Wales' midfield at the launch of a demanding schedule that also features Principality Stadium appointments with South Africa, Fiji and Australia.

Scarlets centre Scott Williams, who won the last of his 58 caps in 2019, has been called into the squad.

In a statement, the Welsh Rugby Union said: "Scarlets centre Scott Williams has been called into Wales' squad for the Autumn Nations Series.

"The 31-year-old Williams, who has previously won 58 caps, has been called in to the squad to replace fellow midfielder Uilisi (Willis) Halaholo, who has tested positive for Covid-19.

"Halaholo is now isolating, away from national squad camp, for 10 days. The WRU has notified, and is working closely with, Public Health Wales on the matter."

Halaholo tweeted: "Been a rough 24 hours. Found out my aunty (pretty much a 2nd mum to me) passed away late last night. Then wake up this morning and test positive and be unavailable for a game that I've worked hard towards since it was announced. Gutted. Congrats @ScottWilliams--1 Good luck brothers."

New Zealand-born Halaholo qualifies for Wales on residency grounds and made his Test debut earlier this year.

Wales head coach Wayne Pivac is due to announce his starting line-up on Thursday, with the reigning Six Nations champions beginning their autumn campaign against a country they have not beaten since 1953.

It is a run of 31 successive defeats, including 16 at home, and Wales' task has not been helped by injuries, unavailability and now illness.

With the game falling outside World Rugby's autumn international window, Wales will be without England-based players like Dan Biggar, Taulupe Faletau and Louis Rees-Zammit because they are not released by their clubs.

And a number of key personnel are absent through injuries, with British and Irish Lions stars such as George North, Josh Navidi and Justin Tipuric all currently sidelined.

But centre Jonathan Davies says that Wales are "relishing the excitement of the challenge" posed by New Zealand.

"Everyone talks about the record of the last 50 or 60 years against New Zealand," Davies said.

"But it is a great way for us to start our autumn series. I think it is the excitement of the challenge. It's a tough task, but I think the boys are focused and we've had two good weeks of preparation."

For the first time since they met Six Nations opponents France in February last year, Wales will play in front a capacity 70,000-plus crowd at the Principality Stadium.