Wales won the RBS 6 Nations Championship, Triple Crown and Grand Slam by beating a poor Ireland side 32-20 at the Millennium Stadium today.

Ireland, whose own Grand Slam dream was destroyed by France in Dublin last weekend, failed to recover from such a huge psychological setback.

And Wales, driven by irresistible momentum, simply needed no second invitation  to paint Cardiff red as injured skipper Gareth Thomas and his replacement, number eight Michael Owen, lifted the trophy.

Wales were forced to make a late change when right-wing Rhys Williams cried off with a leg injury and was replaced by experienced Llanelli Scarlets back Mark Taylor.

Williams had been a fitness fear for Wales in the early part of the week but his late withdrawal had shades of 1978 when Gerald Davies pulled put just before kick-off, and Newport's Gareth Evans took over.

O'Gara kicked Ireland into a 3-0 lead inside four minutes, and Welsh nerves were evident when opposite number Jones missed a penalty chance to tie the scores.

The tension was at fever-pitch, illustrated when Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll stamped on Brent Cockbain after being tackled by the Wales lock, then the home side drew level through a 13th-minute Henson drop-goal.

It was fast and furious action, in keeping with the hype surrounding such a high profile occasion, but Wales gradually grew into the game and their momentum was rewarded.

O'Gara once again proved himself a liability under pressure and, when he attempted to clear from just outside his own 22, he found Jenkins applying suffocating pressure.

Jenkins got his hands on the ball, then kicked on with the Irish line in sight and calmly finished for his third Test try. Jones slotted the conversion, and Wales were up and running, 10-3 ahead.

It got even better for Wales on 23 minutes when Henson revived memories of his match-winning penalty in the Six Nations opener against England six weeks ago. 

Whereas against England, the silver-booted star struck gold from 44 metres, this time he landed a 52-metre penalty to similarly raucous acclaim, and Wales cruised into the second quarter 13-3 ahead.

Ireland showcased their attacking prowess just two minutes later when Denis Hickie was freed in space, but his fellow wing Girvan Dempsey was held up by a superb Taylor tackle, and Wales cleared the danger.

As if to rub Irish noses in it, Jones booted an angled 30th-minute penalty, hoisting Wales 16-3 ahead and raising hopes of a first Welsh victory over Ireland in Cardiff since 1983.

O'Gara slotted a second penalty - from just inside Wales' half - as the interval approached, but Wales looked far more dangerous with ball in hand, and their territorial dominance illustrated that greater sense of adventure.

Ireland knew they needed a score before the break and, when scrum-half Peter Stringer inched them into Wales' 22, there was hope, only for another visiting infringement to undo those best efforts.

Wales began the second period by extending their advantage through a Jones penalty and Ireland had it all to do.

Morgan's try put Wales in sight of silverware and, to the accompaniment of impassioned singing, they closed the deal, even allowing for replacement prop Marcus Horan's 67th-minute try that David Humphreys improved.

Leicester full-back Geordan Murphy also touched down seven minutes from time - Humphreys again slotted the conversion - but Wales had done enough.

The closing minutes were simply a party waiting to happen and, when English referee Chris White blew his final whistle, tears of emotion took over amid unrestrained celebratory scenes.