Irish jockey Johnny Murtagh has lost his appeal against a two-day riding ban - and revealed his disappointment that his title dreams were over. And he claimed racegoers had been robbed of a thrilling finish to the championship battle - with Pat Smullen looking certain of victory.
The Irish Turf Club's appeals and referrals committee dismissed Murtagh's appeal against the decision of the Fairyhouse stewards on October 24 to suspend him for two days. The ban was for careless riding aboard Evora, trained by John Oxx, in the Lagan Median Auction Race - one of four winners he rode that day to draw level with reigning champion Smullen.
The stewards dismissed the appeal after hearing evidence from Murtagh and others and watching a video of the race. "I am disappointed to lose it. I thought it might get reduced to one day and I would have been back for eight races on the last day," Murtagh said. "He will now miss six possible rides at Thurles on November 7 and eight at Leopardstown on November 11."
"The filly was more to blame than I was. She shifted out more than I anticipated. I went to bring her out from behind one horse and she shifted out two. That's the way it goes," Murtagh explained. Of the championship battle Murtagh said: "It was going to make a good climax to the end of the season. There is no more racing. I can't win. It would have been nice to have been there on the last day. A lot of people were hoping I could get home and cause a bit of excitement on the last day. It would have been good for racing."
Filed by Sinéad Kissane