Conor McGregor is set to miss around ten months of action after he suffered a serious knee injury in his UFC match last weekend.
The Dubliner secured his second win in the UFC last Saturday, with a win over Max Holloway at Fight Night 26.
However, speaking to MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani after the fight, he admitted that he injured his left knee.
He said: “There was a big pop. It was unsteady. Whatever happened then, we scrambled back to [our] feet and I literally knew.”
On Wednesday, McGregor wrote on Twitter that he was due to find the extent of his injury.
“MRI scan tomorrow to see about my knee. Hoping 3/4 weeks max. If so I can do Manchester card, as well as Vegas.”
He also told MMAjunkie.com radio: "If I can't do something with my knee, I'll find something else to do.
"I will adapt to it; I will still work. If (I was out) about three or four weeks out, that would be five or six weeks, which is plenty of time. So I'm holding out hope that I'll be on that Manchester card."
However, the news was not good for the 25-year-old and UFC president Dana White confirmed last night that McGregor suffered a complete ACL tear, a MCL strain, and a posterior horn meniscal tear.
McGregor will require surgery and will miss the Manchester card in October, as he looks set to be out of action until next summer.
I celebrate adversity. Congratulations. Your favourite fighter is safe. For 10 months. #AintNothing I'll do it on my back. EASY!!!!— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) August 23, 2013
McGregor is 2-0 in the UFC and 14-2 in his career.
McGregor made an impressive UFC debut back in April with a 67-second TKO victory over Marcus Brimage in Sweden. He picked up the 'Knockout of the Night' bonus for his effort.
His win over Holloway last Saturday was the first time he had been to the third round in his career.
Prior to that, all 13 of his wins had come by stoppage, with 12 knockouts/TKOs and one submission.