Olympic venues in Tokyo will not be able to admit spectators for this summer's Games after the coronavirus pandemic forced the declaration of a new state of emergency in the Japanese capital, Tokyo 2020 organising committee president Seiko Hashimoto has said.

Organisers had hoped that Japanese residents would be able to attend the Games, and last month announced that venues could be 50% full, up to a maximum of 10,000 people.

However, a rise in coronavirus infections has forced the Japanese government to reimpose more stringent measures from Monday until 22 August, and organisers have confirmed that Games venues in the Tokyo prefecture would now not be allowed to admit spectators.

"This is a sorry message that we have to announce, but this was the only choice available to take," Hashimoto said.

Tokyo 2020 chief executive Toshiro Muto confirmed that stakeholders such as IOC members, international federation executives and national Olympic committee executives would still be allowed to attend.

"These are not spectators, they have roles to play," Muto said, before confirming that "key clients" such as sponsors would not be able to attend events where the general public were barred.

Muto said there would be a review of the medical provision for the Games in light of the decision on spectators.

Children involved in a schools programme had been exempt from initial capacity limits, but Muto confirmed that in prefectures where spectators were now not permitted it was "most appropriate" to suspend plans to let them in.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences


Follow all the action from Tokyo 2020 with our 24-hour coverage on RTÉ.ie/sport and the RTÉ News app, watch live on RTÉ2 and the RTÉ Player or listen to updates and live commentaries on RTÉ Radio.