A decision on limits for domestic spectators for the Tokyo Olympics may not be made until June, a month before the scheduled start of the games, the Mainichi newspaper reported on Tuesday.

A decision that foreign spectators would not be allowed was made in March, and a decision on the number of domestic spectators to be allowed had been widely expected in April.

The games were put off for a year due to the coronavirus pandemic which is surging again in Japan.

Organisers for the 2020 Games said in a statement that, at a meeting of all the parties involved last month, "it was agreed that a general decision on spectator capacity in venues will be made in April, with the understanding that Covid-19 circumstances may necessitate a flexible approach."

The statement said organisers were still discussing the matter with the International Olympic Committee and International Paralympic Committee.

In other Olympic news, an artistic swimming qualifier scheduled for Tokyo in May will now be held outside Japan in June at a location to be decided, according to world body FINA.

In a statement FINA said that the changes were due in part to "challenges related to the international calendar and the necessary adaptation of the venue to the Olympic Games' operations in mid-May".

An operational test event will be held in Tokyo in July.

A marathon swimming qualifier that was scheduled for Fukuoka in late May has already been moved to Setubal, in Portugal, in June.

A diving qualifier and test event will go ahead in Tokyo in May, however.