Waterford 4-30 Antrim 1-10

Waterford eased to a comfortable 4-30 to 0-10 victory over Antrim at Walsh Park to stay top of Allianz Hurling League Division 1B.

The hosts led 1-13 to 0-05 at half-time, with Stephen Bennett, who scored 1-04 on his first league start, collecting Colin Dunford's pass to fire home an 18th minute goal.

Substitute Maurice Shanahan netted two second half goals and Tom Devine also goaled. The Deise travel to Wexford Park for a crunch encounter next Sunday. 

Bennett struck 1-04 in a dazzling 42 minutes, while his replacement Shanahan took the baton to deliver 2-05 in a tremendous second half contribution.

Pauric Mahony finished up on 11 points as he continued his free-scoring form in front of the posts.

No less that 4-24 of Waterford's winning total was sourced from open play and ten different players supplied scores for the home side.

Bennett scored 1-03 from play as Waterford eased ahead for the interval. It would have been even more were it not for a fine seventh-minute reaction save from Chris O'Connell.

However he would not be denied for long and a surging run from Dunford soon opened up the Antrim defence before he supplied Bennett to fire under O'Connell.

Bennett tacked on two points tight to the sideline, much to the approval of the Waterford supporters.

Mahony was responsible for seven points of the Deise's 1-13 first half haul, while Antrim only managed one point from play courtesy of substitute Conor Johnson as Paul Shiels knocked over four frees.

Bennett added another point before he departed on 42 minutes to an appreciative reception from the Deise faithful. Mahony kept the scoreboard ticking over and Shanahan made quite an impact during his cameo role which certainly grabbed the attention of the management team. 

Shanahan collected a pass from Michael Walsh to finish past O'Connell on 59 minutes. Another substitute Devine billowed the roof of the net just six minutes later.

Shanahan then smashed home his second major with one minute remaining, and Paudie Prendergast also left his mark with two points. A mention too for Michael Walsh who notched three points in a hard-working display.

Waterford: I O’Regan; S Fives, B Coughlan, N Connors; Philip Mahony, T De Burca, K Moran (0-01); J Barron, M O’Neill; J Dillon (0-02), M Walsh (0-03), Pauric Mahony (0-11, 0-06f); B O’Halloran, S Bennett (1-04), C Dunford (0-01).

Subs used: M Shanahan (2-05) for Bennett, T Devine (1-00) for O’Halloran (both 42 mins), S O’Sullivan (0-01) for O’Neill (45), S McNulty for Connors (56), P Prendergast (0-02) for Pauric Mahony (60).

Antrim: C O’Connell; R McCambridge, N McAuley, A Graffin; S McCrory, C McKinley, M Bradley; N McManus, Ciaran Johnson (0-02, 0-01f); N McKenna, T McCann, P Shiels (0-05, 0-04f); PJ O’Connell, S McNaughton (0-01, 0-01f), C Clarke.

Subs used: M Donnelly for Clarke, Conor Johnson (0-02) for McKenna (both 23 mins), E Campbell for T McCann, C McCann for McManus (both half-time), T O Ciarain for S McNaughton (47).

Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan (Cork)